advertisement

Stylus Procurement

andy831

pfm Member
I need to replace a few stylii in the following cartridges before trying them on any of my records. Can anybody suggest the best place for replacements, also are they worth replacing?

Tenorel .... Probably a 2001 type but nothing printed on the cartridge. This came out of a ThorensTP13? arm mounted on a Garrard 401

Shure M75EJ mk 2 this came out of a Thorens TP16 arm on a Td160 deck

Shure V15 mk2 this came out of an SME 3009 on a Garrard 301.

All suggestions welcome.

Andy

I would replace the first two with entirely new units, namly an Audio Technica AT95E.

The V15 MKII is quite old now but in its day was considered very good. you could try any of the new £200 MMs such as The new Ortofon and Goldring units.

I'd just buy a new cart. The only one on that list worth bothering with, the V15 II, is long obsolete so there is no official replacement stylus available from Shure, just after market ones of very variable quality. The M75 was nothing special and the Tenorel even less so.

Tony.

Ebay for the V15 and bin for the other two......all seems quite reasonable to me. Thanks lads

I'd eBay the M75 too - I got about 8 quid for one once. The V15III stylus won't fit a V15II. Mull, if you have a unused NOS genuine V15III stylus eBay it, it is worth far, far more than it sonically deserves, you would probably get over 100 quid for it.

Tony.

lol Really....... ya better keep it and ebay it Col... Hey would could have a joint auction!! Roll up roll up come and Buy our crap

I'd eBay the M75 too - I got about 8 quid for one once. The V15III stylus won't fit a V15II. Mull, if you have a unused NOS genuine V15III stylus eBay it, it is worth far, far more than it sonically deserves, you would probably get over 100 quid for it.

Tony.

Bloody hell Tony! That much? I've just checked and it's actually called a VN-35e The accompanying leaflet describes it as being 'for' the V15III. It is in a heavy brown typically 70's moulded plastic box, with an outer box in white and gold -ish card.
To be totally honest is has a very few hours on it,.. probably less than 10, cos I used it as a stop gap for a day or so whilst awaiting my new 17D2, but I'm sure it is 'near mint'. Naturally, I also have a V15III, with the black cartridge module held in a chrome effect mount.

I'll have to get 'em on eBay.

Mull

advertisement

Back