Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Stylus lifespan

Discussion in 'audio' started by Frankiesays, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Guest432

Guest432 Guest

I would hope the arm doesn't follow the groove and it is just the cantilever otherwise the coils/magnets won't generate a signal.

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Exactly so, or at least ever more of the information from the groove would translate to arm movement, as the effectives masses approached one another.

3. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

It is often overlooked that high compliance and low tip mass *also* mean that lower levels of vibration get applied to the arm by the cartridge as it tracks the groove. This means that arm 'ringing' resonances matter less because they aren't being excited so much.

4. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

And less need for super rigid and low slack bearings (SME 3009 S2 plastic knife edges)

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I find it depressing that some feel they have to ration their vinyl listening owing to the expense of the carts they have chosen.

6. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Rats is life.

Well it seems I play vinyl tonnes more than many people on here, so once a year is may'be even too infrequent to change styli. After replacing my Nag it now sounds divine straight out of the box. Wonder is the MP500 worth triple the price? Although replacment styli are only double the price, so that's £400 for a bit of plastic! (MP500 new cart = around £600 direct from Japan, new styli = around £200 direct from Japan).

7. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

For me it's the inconvenience of vinyl as a medium that accounts for the low number of hours I've clocked up on my cart, not the financial implications, but I can sympathise with those who spin daily and have pricier carts to up-keep. First world problems of the afflicted audiophile... :)

8. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

If the stylus, made from a very, very hard material, wears like that, think about the fine grooves in the soft vinyl...

9. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

The difference is time at stress. Each 5 um spot in the groove sees a milisecond of stress, while the diamond sees 1200 seconds per side.

10. Julf

If I scratch the paint of a car with a rusty nail, each 5 um spot of paint sees a milisecond of stress, while the nail sees 12 seconds per side... :)

11. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The main reason that I now rarely play an LP is that for years I made a decent digital capture of each one when I fancied playing it. That done, I keep the LP safe and play the capture. Less faff, less stylus wear, etc. :) When I occasionally buy a new LP I go though the same process.

ToTo Man likes this.
  12. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

The reason I rarely play them is there's so much choice these days! But when I do, I thoroughly enjoy it.

13. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Stylus life is a bit of a difficult one. For example, I use several turntables, so the cartridges (Dynavector XX2MkII, Dynavector DV20XL, Goldring rebuilt Troika) get fairly even use between them , so their life is extended somewhat. It's a good way to run a vinyl system if you can accommodate more than one record player. Also, in my case life-style (work) means I don't get as much time with the system as I would like. But given that I had more time, I doubt that I would ration the cartridge use; one reason not to use a cartridge that you can't afford to replace when it wears out!

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting research, how many car sides does the nail last?

misterdog and Julf like this.
  15. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

2 x the total number of cars in the car park? :D

Julf likes this.
  16. Julf

I clearly need to do some more research...

ToTo Man likes this.
  17. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Or until the boys in blue feel his collar.

ToTo Man likes this.
  18. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Any tips on a USB microscope to use? I see one on Amazon at £13.99 will that do?

Big Tabs likes this.
  19. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I think the MP500 is more like £250, and that's before import duty, it will be more like £300 before you've done.

20. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Rats is life.

I've imported 2 carts from Japan now, didn't pay import duty on either.