advertisement

Stylus Cleaning

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
I have a Dynavector 17D3 on my WT Versalex turntable. I still have and occasionally use the Audio Technica AT-637, but haven’t used it with any fluid for years.

Is it OK to use Lyra SPT with this brilliant device?

Many thanks
Peter

Get a loupe first to see if it needs cleaning or not - Tony started a thread here a while back, and I was amazed at difference it makes to be able to see the tip properly...and all the gunk collecting around it. What I thought was a worn out Asaka was just dirty (I also only used a 637 dry) - aggressive cleaning with stiff brush and tweezers (!) got it clean.

Lyra SPT is unlikely to do anything nasty and I’ve used it for many years on different cartridge makes. It’s ridiculously expensive, but it’ll last almost a lifetime as you only just dampen the applicator brush. Viewed under a microscope, you start off with a ball of crud with a shiny bit just visible at the end. After cleaning, the diamond looks spotlessly clean. I’m mystified as to how it can be so effective as it’s water based.

Thanks for the ‘tips’. Have checked eBay and will order a 10x loupe. Makes sense to see whether my stylus cleaning is effective or not. I do use a RCM (Okki Nokki), but I was a little unsure about applying a fluid to the stylus. Lyra SPT is expensive, but I had some given to me.
Peter

remove dirt at source with a RCM & extend life of your 17D your records & ears will thank you
What he said.

I put all records I buy, new or used, through my VPI16.5 first before playing them. I can't remember the last time I had any significant build up after playing a record. Nonetheless, I dry clean with AT-637 after every three or four records, and wet clean with just enough SPT on the pad to moisten the stylus once every dozen or 15 records.

Fibre brush every record plus every 2-3 weeks ultrasonic dry cleaning with HiFi Flux Sonic in my case

What he said.

I put all records I buy, new or used, through my VPI16.5 first before playing them. I can't remember the last time I had any significant build up after playing a record. Nonetheless, I dry clean with AT-637 after every three or four records, and wet clean with just enough SPT on the pad to moisten the stylus once every dozen or 15 records.

Broadly similar to my own cleaning regime, but I occasionally get lazy and a record gets played uncleaned. Must do better.

advertisement

Back