Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Stylus Brushes

Discussion in 'audio' started by fegs, Mar 13, 2022.

1. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

paulfromcamden and Darren L like this.
  2. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Always reminds me of Clockwork Orange

3. Roy trigwell

Roy trigwell Tricarr

I have used stylus cleaning fluid in the past,
    but I no longer use it since I had my shelter 901 repaired due to damaged suspension and some slight corrosion on the cartridge yolk.
    It was suggested that cleaning fluid may have been responsible.

Rushboy likes this.
  4. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Lovely thing.

David Gammon was a brilliant engineer and certainly had class; likely why Margaret looked ready to shag him in this photo...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  5. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Isn't the main difference that in a groove the force hits the stylus in a single direction with the natural flex of the cantilever? I think of vibration as a rapid backwards and forwards motion so the force on the stylus will equally be backwards against the cantilever. Maybe it's the way my mind (incorrectly) works that causes the wince.

6. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

10 year old wireless smoke alarms are due for replacement. Here in the USA you can get units that will take Lithium batteries or units that have no replaceable battery but are supposed to get 10 years out of the included proprietary battery (disposal once they go end of life). Another nice feature is wireless interconnect -if one is tripped -All will trip and will indicate verbally which location has going into alarm. I have never heard the Transcriptors arm -always been curious about it? Anybody with first hand experience ?

7. Craig B

Gently placing a finger tip atop the vibrating pad of AT637 reveals that it oscillates up/down. The amount of travel is almost imperceptible.

8. Roy trigwell

Roy trigwell Tricarr

I am fortunate to still have a AT637 which has served me well for many years. Now used dry
    due to reason in my previous post.

9. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

I always wet cleaned a tip before microscopic examination during my audio service career - only if the customer returned with issues after a examination showed the tip was OK would I first look at the tip prior to cleaning. Oftentimes the notorious balls-o-crud would be obvious. Sometimes we could figure out what they were doing to their records to do this to the stylus tips -but it was not uncommon to have particular individual new records just do this/for no known reason ? But you can watch liquids crawl up a cantilever -so less is more is probably a good idea.

10. Ian Stafford

Ian Stafford pfm Member

Exactly, mine also take the 9v battery and as you I've never had them leak. I change them annually (they start 'bleeping' after about 20 months if left) with a reminder in the calendar to do so!

11. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

12. Musicman19

Musicman19 Active Member

If its good enough for peter swain its good enough for me I've used it for years and its lapping paper ffs not sandpaper, id be much more wary of using a vibrating pad and fluid on my dynavector than the green stuff .

Ian Stafford likes this.
  13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve nothing whatsoever against Peter Swain even though I’ve never needed anyone to set a Linn up for me, but just look and think about this for yourself. First identify exactly where the playing surface of the stylus is and how it contacts the groove wall. Now ask yourself how rubbing a bit of abrasive paper flat across the very bottom of the tip helps! 100% marketing bullshit, 0% science.

The AT637 actually cleans the stylus, which is why I use it.

PS If you want a credible opinion ask Dynavector. I’m sure they’ll tell you exactly what they think of the Linn green stuff! (They recommend the soft brush they supply with the cart and fluid they make).

14. Craig B

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  15. Musicman19

Musicman19 Active Member

16. Musicman19

Musicman19 Active Member

Well as I said I've used it for years and it works for me thats what matters,the brush supplied is good at the odd bit of fluff removal, wasn't aware dynavector still made the fluid.

17. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Craig B likes this.