advertisement

Stylish stand mount recommendations please?

Ant

pfm Member
My Chocolate Lab decided she didn't like the way one of my B&W 805s's sat on its stand - preferring it to be on its side on the floor, with a rear firing tweeter housing instead.

Personally I'm not convinced so I'm looking for a replacement set of stand mounts, size isn't constricted but must be suitable for near wall positioning (front ported?). Budget of £400ish, old or new but to keep me happy - must be able to deliver a kick, and more importantly, to keep the wife happy with them being in the living room - stylish or 'different'.

To be paired with an Olive 250 in a 16' x 10' room.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Linn Sara would fit the bill in term of sound and wall. Whether they have WAF is a different matter.

Why not opt for floor standers ?

They will occupy the same footprint but have a low centre of gravity and be more tolerant of being nudged.

Dogs are very good at this sort of thing - current lab bit through Naim NAC5 until I replaced the lot with something that sounded decent. I'd take the lab to auditions and just accept it has many times better hearing than you do and will get a system right. I find dogs tolerant of digital to a surprising degree, as long as it is not from a CD player. Hates DAB.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps but although the Sara's may fit the bill for placement I know she wouldn't approve of the aesthetics. Floor standers are a no-no, I've never approached Rolands - they 'look' good but I'm not sure in regard to their drivers (cheap fostex perhaps?) and the site doesn't work on ithings, and I'm not sure our Lab would appreciate any type of demo, unless the speakers were edible - but I'm sure she'd give it a go non the less.

I'd probably go for a pair of Neat Petite or a pair of Epos ES11s in a nice wood finish. Search the classifieds for the latter there have been some really nice ones in there lately. You must have the dedicated stands both for looks and sound. If you went for the 11s that would leave a bit for a half decent subwoofer which can be hidden anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestion of the ES11's MVV. I think they Look pretty good in Walnut, cheers.

I'mim going to go to my default suggestion for a standmounter at that price point, so long as you are happy with something used, the Linn Katan fits the bill... Especially on a NAP 250, that will really sing on that. They can even be wall mounted on linn's own Brakit wall mounts.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Rega's - I do like the look of the RX1's but they're nearly twice my budget. I would prefer floor standers but it's quite a small living room that's already quite full, and the wife doesn't approve.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Rega's - I do like the look of the RX1's but they're nearly twice my budget. I would prefer floor standers but it's quite a small living room that's already quite full, and the wife doesn't approve.

Well stand mounted speakers will take up just as much room as a floor standing design... If space saving really is a priority then you might want to consider wall mount friendly designs... Some good ones include the katans I already mentioned. Rega RS 1, Dynaudio audience 42/52 (they actually did a slim version of the 42 that was designed specifically for wall mounting), Dali make various models which work close to or on a wall too. I love the little IKON 1s.

I always thought Sonus Faber made some beautiful standmounts

Guarneri
guarneri_evolution_all_side.jpg

sonus-faber-guarneri-wz.jpg

Olympica I
sonus%20faber%20olympica%20i.jpg

I have no idea how any of them sound.

Oops. Probably wouldn't fit into the 400 a pair either.
Probably not designed for back to the wall placement either, what with that rear port.

Some reviews suggest that the Dali Zensor III is a great sounding and good looking speaker. It is only one of those and I love mine despite desperately tacky aesthetics.

Cheers for the suggestions on the Q's - my son has got the little 2020's in his bedroom - pretty well made, and very good for 100 quid. Floor standers - it's not the square volume or footprint that's the issue, more about presence. If I had a choice and unlimited budget, in a designated listening room I'd go for the 6 foot Adams or focals all day long, but in a small(ish) shared 'living' room - stand mounts are justifiable.

Oh, the SF's... beautiful, but I think my 400 might just get me as far as a link cable?

advertisement

Back