advertisement

Stupid question about HD600's?

Initially it seemed like a nice mod. First observation was of them being a little more energetic, more aggressive... but they lost their characteristic sense of ease. More listening indicated other stuff they lost too. The whole sound became thinner, leaner and less impactful. The highs became starker but the sound as a whole lost some definition.
Twenty years ago I tried this mod, because the HD600s did then indeed sound "foggy". But quite soon I put the foam back mainly for the same reasons as you. I then sold the phones to a friend.

But two months ago I bought another pair, the 2019 version. They do not sound foggy at all.

Twenty years ago I tried this mod, because the HD600s did then indeed sound "foggy". But quite soon I put the foam back mainly for the same reasons as you. I then sold the phones to a friend.

But two months ago I bought another pair, the 2019 version. They do not sound foggy at all.

These were relatively recent (2014 I think) editions and don't sound foggy to me either, the mod was recommended and I was changing to new ear pads so thought I'd try it.

I would be wary of removing the inner pads entirely for the reason I mentioned earlier.

A surprising amount of muck will accumulate around the working innards - and surprisingly quickly.
Amazing also how bits of hair can bond so well with airborne dust and scraps of earwax and lodge themselves so firmly :eek:

advertisement

Back