advertisement

Structural engineering question

Depends upon what its taking above. If the Right hand side is an extension, so flat roof ,floor from the left hand side the external wall above and main roof loadings. Putting in a single beam over a large span will require something substantial. It would also likley requre steel goal posts and possibly underpinning / bases either end as the walls are unlikley to be able to spread the load sufficiently on their own. One possibility is to put a beam off the wall with the window and onto either a loadbearing wall to the left hand side if theree is one or onto a post hidden within a wall onto a concrete pad picking up the beam where the post currently sits. Caveats with that are the connections to the existing beams which is likley split over the top plate of the current column and would need to be reconnected not too difficult. The lintel over the window would also likley need replacing on the insde assuming a cavity wall with a small steel section as steel or concrtete lintels are generally not suitable for large point loads.

Depends upon what its taking above. If the Right hand side is an extension, so flat roof ,floor from the left hand side the external wall above and main roof loadings. Putting in a single beam over a large span will require something substantial. It would also likley requre steel goal posts and possibly underpinning / bases either end as the walls are unlikley to be able to spread the load sufficiently on their own. One possibility is to put a beam off the wall with the window and onto either a loadbearing wall to the left hand side if theree is one or onto a post hidden within a wall onto a concrete pad picking up the beam where the post currently sits. Caveats with that are the connections to the existing beams which is likley split over the top plate of the current column and would need to be reconnected not too difficult. The lintel over the window would also likley need replacing on the insde assuming a cavity wall with a small steel section as steel or concrtete lintels are generally not suitable for large point loads.
here is the full picture!
https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/2250215381.htm

Looks like an old structure. The pillar plus beam above probably replaced a whole wall so they could open up the living room. My unqualified advice would be: don't remove the pillar! If you don't like the pillar in the middle of the LR, look for another house.

If losing that column support is a major issue you could, maybe , depending on how far away the load bearing wall is to the left of that picture, run a beam across from above the window to the right to transfer it

Looks like a timber framed building from what can be seen also the column seems to have a small dowel pin at its base which indicates a timber support rather than steel. I imagine and im not an expert on foreign methods of construction that there are no cavity walls possibly solid masonry or full timber frame. The beams below the floor are likley taking loading from the loft room floor and first floor levels possibly some partitions and maybe even the purlins from the roof. A steel side to side across the short span assuming it does not interfere with the staircase should be possible but the bearings if a timber framed dwelling may be an issue so it could again be posts and pad foundations either end.

If losing that column support is a major issue you could, maybe , depending on how far away the load bearing wall is to the left of that picture, run a beam across from above the window to the right to transfer it
But it woud have to run under the beam already there right?

I'm not an engineer but isn't above the window already a weak spot for a cross-beam to rest?

Did something similar in my first house, but, as has been already been stated, it would require a much stronger beam to replace the long one in place already.
The point load at either end would be hugely increased, and therefore require a larger area of support from the ground (+ foundation) up to it.
That could mean new pillars at either end of the beam, possibly up to 1m sq each.
Cost = probably way more than you wish to spend, but it is technically possible.

I'm not an engineer but isn't above the window already a weak spot for a cross-beam to rest?
Definitely: IIUC, not a good idea to have one of those above a window. I've just had to move a window a metre to the right for precisely that reason (ensure twin U-beams that replace a now defunct outer wall in its roof carrying duties have a nice solid structure to lean on).

You need a structural engineer to look at it and give you an answer. There simply isn't enough information on photos for anyone to even make an educated guess. My gut feel (as a relatively competent builder but not a structural engineer) is it will be a huge amount of work, but like I say you need someone qualified to survey the building and give you the definitive answer. My advice is to find a different house and save yourself the hassle..

advertisement

Back