advertisement

Strongly held opinions

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
I thought it might be useful to have a summary of the current strongly held opinions on this forum that are likely to give rise to hundreds of replies and lots of name calling and general unpleasantness. Then newer members could simply read this and know where the mines are.

By my reckoning they are:

1) Cable materials etc. cannot affect the sound / they can
2) Reclocking of digital streams cannot make any difference / it can
3) Measurements or scientific theory tells you all you need to know about equipment / they don't
4) Linn and Naim can never be forgiven for the excesses of their marketing in the 80s / that was a long time ago, get over it / I agree with everything they've ever said
5) Changes to power supplies e.g. mains leads, plugs, fuses etc. is futile / it can make a difference
6) When assessing if a product is overpriced, only materials costs can be taken into account / R&D costs, dealer mark up, fitting costs etc. can be taken into account
7) Delivery companies are responsible for all breakages as they fire all packages from a gun / they try to prevent breakages as much as they can but if someone posts a cannon ball wrapped in brown paper, what can you do?
8) All valve amps sound syrupy / they can rock out
9) Naim are beyond reproach / just another HiFi company / rubbish at best / evil
10) Bigger companies are good because they're more stable, likely to last longer / they are evil bullies who peddle nothing but lies
11) Small companies (2 -3 people max) are good because they're more approachable and they behave like human beings, not companies / small companies are crap because their delivery times can be long, they're more likely to suddenly disappear and they behave like human beings, not companies
12) Analog gives the best sound / digital gives the best sound

Thanks to your suggestions, I think that might have about covered it :)

Last edited:
Brexit in/out in/out
Tyres cheap/premium.
Scotland can/cannot make independence and join EU
Black is white, white is black, f**k if you don't agree.
Bob Dylan has good/bad voice.
Floyd better with Barrett/Gilmour
Israelis are good/bad folk.

etc

Brexit in/out in/out
Tyres cheap/premium.
Scotland can/cannot make independence and join EU
Black is white, white is black, f**k if you don't agree.
Bob Dylan has good/bad voice.
Floyd better with Barrett/Gilmour
Israelis are good/bad folk.

etc

As this is in the audio forum, it is supposed to be restricted to audio only. Sorry :)

As this is in the audio forum, it is supposed to be restricted to audio only. Sorry :)

Oops my bad - think twice, post once etc.

Couldn't Dylan go in there? I mean he's hardly musical, strictly speaking. :eek:

Which Dylan; the musical poet or the literary poet? Or maybe the dog from 'Magic Roundabout'?

My opinions can't be strongly held as I keep forgetting them

funny you say that, but I find do this man reading voice more musical and mellifluous than that of Herr Zimmerman.

Genesis comeback is a nightmare/non event. Can any hifi make them sound good/half decent? ;)

I've seen them live twice and I've got a fair few of their albums and the early ones are pretty well recorded. If you like their music they're pretty good live, although not up there with BB King.

Jesus H Christ :eek::eek::eek: £169 is the cheapest ticket in Leeds

I've seen them live twice and I've got a fair few of their albums and the early ones are pretty well recorded. If you like their music they're pretty good live, although not up there with BB King.

Yep, an absolute rip-off by the oldies.

They have to try to keep PC upright.

advertisement

Back