advertisement

Streaming Tidal and hi-res from a 2009 imac

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
Hi,

Is it possible to stream hi res files / Tidal masters from an old 2009 iMac via USB or is this mac limited in its digital output?

If it is, is there anything I can put in-between to solve this problem?

Thanks

Patrick

I imagine that you will only have pre 2009 music, so it'll probably be just fine....

Got to add that I always imagined you as an old chap with an old mac.. ;)
How are you Patrick, all well?

Good to hear Tiger, don't see you on here enough... I'm alive so guess all well.
Sorry I can help as I know nothing (about macs, though you may want to leave it as know nothing) but expect a younger member will be along to help in a mo..

Yes it is. You will need an MQA certified DAC to take full advantage of the MQA content, but you get some of the benefits by using playback software like Roon or TIDAL's own app, which can partially unfold MQA content. Your existing iMac will work with any of these options.

Install Roon Server (some cost, monthly) and you can enter your Tidal subscription details into Roon. USB cable to a DAC and then hifi and off you go.

If you have an iphone or ipad you can get Roon Control (free) and sit in your listening chair and call up anything you want.

I have the same system but using an old Mac Mini instead of the IMac. I also have control on a Win 10 Laptop.

Yes I have Tidal and Roon but was under the impression that the digital output on old imacs via USB was limited?

Yes I have Tidal and Roon but was under the impression that the digital output on old imacs via USB was limited?

Two things. Your iMac has USB 2 and built-in support for USB Audio Class 2, which makes it compatible with even the very latest DACs. Also, high res content from TIDAL will leave your Mac as 24 bit audio at sample rates ranging from 44.1kHz up to 96kHz, depending on whether or not you use the the partial unfolding in software option. That is well within the capabilities of your iMac, as well as much older Macs.

I just dipping my toe in to this pond. I haven’t actually got an mqa DAC as it sounds but considering options. I shall have a look at Qobuz.

A man of your reputed age and taste should like Qobuz. Also it’s now cheaper than Tidal. And you won’t have to faff about with MQA Dacs.

A man of your reputed age and taste should like Qobuz. Also it’s now cheaper than Tidal. And you won’t have to faff about with MQA Dacs.
This is a good point, Alex. You’re right I’m too old for all this nonsense, pass me a record.

advertisement

Back