advertisement

Streaming system good at low volumes for 2.5K

I'd focus on the speakers, as those are I believe the most important factor for being able to play at low volume. In similar threads I've recommended Harbeth P3ESR (but these may now be above your budget), or Amphion, which are very neutral and can do low volume well.

Is footprint important for speakers and/or the rest of the system?

Given that you do not have prior experience in streaming, I believe Bluesound would fit you best as its app is easy to use and has most of the kinks sorted out. A Bluesound Node does the streaming and Dac for you (you can add an external Dac if you want to). Then you only need to select an amp and speakers. If your focus is on low volume, a fairly modest amp should suffice.

Or you could use a Bluesound PowerNode which has the amp integrated.

Best of luck with the move. I use a Yamaha 803, a single box which does everything. It’s currently paired with Mark Audio Cesti MBR’s, which are excellent small speakers with incredible imaging and a gorgeous finish. The only thing I’d say with the 803 is that it’s quite a hefty box but if that’s OK, I’d wholeheartedly recommend it. If you want ultra compact look at a WXA-50. I have one also and it’s a fantastic solution for a smaller space. You could look at a used Linn Majik DSM, just be aware that it’s not wireless, so would need to be located where you can plug it into a router. The Sonos Amp could be worth a look.

I’d grab some used AVI ADM9’s and a Bluesound Node 2i.

A lot less than £2.5k and I really enjoyed my AdM9’s. So much so I’d buy another pair if I can squeeze them into another room.

I had them in my old kitchen and despite being shoved into non-ideal locations (i.e. one on top of the fridge!) they sounded fantastic and they rocked too!

I currently have ES14’s (no treble issues with mine) and Event Opals - the latter might also be an option as their midrange is a match for the Epos’s but the bass is significantly better.

I’d base a system around the RME ADI fs DAC . About £600 s/h. It’s got a customisable ‘loud’ setting on the remote and equalisation faculties to adjust the speakers to your room. Also an excellent headphone amp built in. Pi based streamers are great VFM, small and inconspicuous. Speakers? Haven’t a clue.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, Mark. I hope you're able to find your hifi appreciative new homes (especially the 66s! :)) and I'm sure the new downsized system will bring you as much musical enjoyment once you've acclimatised to it. Best wishes.

Very sorry to hear about your situation.

I suggest: Bluesound Node 2i streamer --USB--> RME ADI fs DAC --balanced out--> Focal Shape 50 or 65 studio monitors (unported, so not fussy about placement in a small space, but very home decor-friendly unlike most studio monitors; note: sold individually, not in pairs)

Hi,

Not good about your wife and business, glad you are getting things sorted out.

On the HiFi side if you are able to get a second hand Linn Majik DSM and a second hand pair of Shahinian Larcs or Super Elf's they would cover all bases.

Yes the Shahinians are hard to find but they both are wonderful at low levels and the Linn Majik DSM is a one box unit that will do Tidal or Qobuz and does have a headphone socket as well.

There are a couple of apps from Linn you can use with it that integrate with Tidal and Qobuz well, best to get an iPad they are easier to use than Android and Linn don't have their new app on Android yet.

Just a suggestion however any Shahinian owners of Larcs or Super Elf's will maybe say what they feel.

I use the Super Elf's and they are very good and not that expensive second hand.

Cheers

John

PS... Just to add to the above the Linn Majik DSM is not wireless but a couple of home plugs, one by your router and one next to your Linn Majik DSM will take care of any wiring you need. Just ask at your local Currys for a wired Home Plug.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...Vi5CyCh1qeQixEAQYASABEgKuvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good luck MVV. Like Mutty says the RME covers dac and pre nicely. I use one with a computer as source with Qobuz, Audionote AX2s (coherent and good at low volume) and a Temple Audio amp. Well within budget and you’d want for very little.

advertisement

Back