advertisement

Streaming speakers solution on a budget.

cj66

pfm Member
A friend has asked for recommendations for a simple, economic streaming speakers solution.
It can be Bluetooth or WiFi, will most likely be fed by an android phone, preferably fit in a shallow pelmet area at ceiling level ( but bracket mount has not been ruled out ), will need 2 units paired to play mainly low level background music but could sometimes be turned up a bit.
The room is largish, approx 80m2.
My first thought was a couple of JBL Charge 4s or 5s. The only problems there is the required recharging rather than mains and lack of remote on/off. Shape, size, sound ability and cost are all boxes ticked though.

We use a Teac AH300, Chromecast Audio and small Mission speakers, laid on their sides, also in a ceiling level pelmet space and slightly smaller room. He liked ours.

Any ideas folks?

A pair of loudspeakers and a Sonos Amp. Would require speaker wire but a good solution if electrical is not handy for a Sonos active speaker.

Vail Cast Streaming Amp
mounts to wall/ceiling or in a recessed light fitting
2 or 4 channels + matching wall/ceiling speakers
Apple AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, and Chromecast built-in. And it features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for streaming from your phone or tablet. There's an Ethernet port on the back panel that allows you to connect directly to your home network, stream up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution.

How to use the VAIL Cast - Universal Streaming Amplifier - YouTube

g178VAILCST-o_other0_m.jpg

Vail Cast Streaming Amp
mounts to wall/ceiling or in a recessed light fitting
2 or 4 channels + matching wall/ceiling speakers
Apple AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, and Chromecast built-in. And it features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for streaming from your phone or tablet. There's an Ethernet port on the back panel that allows you to connect directly to your home network, stream up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution.

How to use the VAIL Cast - Universal Streaming Amplifier - YouTube

g178VAILCST-o_other0_m.jpg

Designed by the XYZ cartridge guy?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will add that any device reliant on voice control is off the table, the room is a customer space. Items that cannot be permanently connected to power are also no-gos, as are non remote control.
"Room filling" sound is not required. As said in my OP, the system we have in our smaller 70m2 space is ample (pun intended).

Sonos is one I was looking at but pricey over here, will see if mixing in the Ikea speakers will reduce costs enough.
That Vail Cast looks interesting so researching that now...

Sonos is your best bet. The IKEA units are Sonos units anyway and are a bit cheaper I believe. They do lamps too, if that helps to disguise things. In a large area such as, say, a retail space, they’re ideal because you can group as many as you want in mono, so everything syncs perfectly and there’s no weird stereo effects. Also, you can then control the volume differently in different areas. For example, the retail store I used to work in has the volume quieter in the till space than everywhere else and it’s a bit louder at the back of the shop. Four Sonos units cover an area around 20 x 8m unobtrusively in this way.

Sonos is your best bet. The IKEA units are Sonos units anyway and are a bit cheaper I believe. They do lamps too, if that helps to disguise things. In a large area such as, say, a retail space, they’re ideal because you can group as many as you want in mono, so everything syncs perfectly and there’s no weird stereo effects. Also, you can then control the volume differently in different areas. For example, the retail store I used to work in has the volume quieter in the till space than everywhere else and it’s a bit louder at the back of the shop. Four Sonos units cover an area around 20 x 8m unobtrusively in this way.

I’d agree with that, have seen them on many occasions in pubs/cafes/restaurants

I've swapped from a Sonos system to a couple of Bluesound flex plus. I was a long a term sonos fan, connect amp, connect, play 5s and play 1s plus a sub. Gradually became more disillusioned with them, for me bluesound are more stable and sound better.

Just to wrap this up, the Bluesound Flex Pulse is not available here, shame that they looked good.
Sonos carries a large price premium here and got scratched off the list.
Ikea speakers, also not available here.

In a total about turn, said friend has settled for a single JBL Party box :confused:.

To me it sounds pretty shyte in that space but they like it. Can't see low level music being very easy across the space, hey ho.

advertisement

Back