advertisement

Streaming Source Help

timmer

pfm Member
Could I ask for some guidance from you good PFMers, as I have lost my direction a bit...

I have some NCC200 Monoblocks, and either SBLs or Focal Aria 926 speakers, and am looking for a streaming only source. My thoughts were:

Unitiqute, streaming/preamp all in one: Is it good enough though

NAC-N 172: streaming/preamp all in one: Not heard much about it

Sonos (modded??)/ DAC with preamp (Naim DAC-V1 or M-DAC) : I am told the Sonos is not a good enough source and the output is too 'dirty'

Other source / DAC with preamp as above: Any source advice welcome

Other

Any guidance gratefully received!

Thanks

Timmer

I'd try a Sonos connect on its own first and see what you think. That way you start with a great interface and can stream your local and cloud based music. Then you could always get it modded. If you don't like it, sell it or accept it for what it is - cd quality streaming with a fab user interface.

Of all the interfaces I've seen for streaming, Sonos followed by Apple have it about right. Sonos are doing an upgrade though, I hope they don't break it...

BlueSound Node

Have just bought one and think its very good, hires, qobuz and radio.

Oh, regarding source - I'm using a Mac, iTunes, and Spotify - Sonos integrates seamlessly with it.

For casual listening and the mrs, I've one way of accessing my music from iTunes, Spotify and the iPhone/iPad running the Sonos app.

I resort to my big brother DAC and iTunes+Amarra Symphony or Audirvana Plus for a 'proper' listen.

I would say definitely start with a bare Sonos, or the new kid on the block BlueSound...

But.

You have no preamp, correct? The trouble with the volume control on the Sonos (don't know about the BlueSound??) is that the volume slider isn't accurate enough, and allows full volume to be engaged too easily.

Do you use other sources - specifically analogue ones? i.e. are you going to need a preamp?

I agree with Vital, I'd get some sort of preamp in there to gate the streaming source if you're going down the Sonos/iTunes/iTunes Remote type route.

How did you want to control the thing?

Mattski - I think thats the problem, I would like to say I have an open mind, but I rather think it is blank....

I guess I liked the Naim/Teddy solutions as they include a preamp, but that still leaves the source as undefined....Sonos...Bluesound....Computer....Naim...other???

Chris (tbl), is the volume control on the BlueSound any better?

Timmer, if you have no desire to introduce analogue sources I'd not bother with a pre - unless you need one to simply work as a "decent" volume control. There's a passive pre in the classified for £215 which I'd consider if I were you - you can sell it on for similar money if you decide to go for a full on digital pre/DAC.

FWIW all the respondents in you thread here were at my DAC bake-off a few weeks ago where a Sonos seemed indistinguishable from a Mac mini/Auralic Vega DAC combo - through an active pre. I only mention to counter the "Sonos is not up to it" claims, but we're having a follow up to see if subtle differences can be teased out...

Passive pre in classified (which I considered buying). This is not a recommendation per se, just an idea:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153232

Thanks Vital - surprising about your DAC findings, useful first hand experience.

I will do some more research...

Anyone used the Qute with much better amps/speakers?

How about a cheap DAC with a volume control to act as a pre with a feed from Sonos for the interface and source-stream?

Ian - since the bakeoff I've got a Connect and compared to the Vega and, well, ... lets just say the latter is going nowhere soon and it'll nicely upsample the Sonos feed if I want.

Timmer, it's worth mentioning that one school of thought believed the test to have "something" that masked differences, as surprising as it sounds. To me, a perfect example of this is when we identified differences that did not exist in a run of 6 that happened to be all Vega.

Could I ask for some guidance from you good PFMers, as I have lost my direction a bit...

I have some NCC200 Monoblocks, and either SBLs or Focal Aria 926 speakers, and am looking for a streaming only source. My thoughts were:

Unitiqute, streaming/preamp all in one: Is it good enough though

NAC-N 172: streaming/preamp all in one: Not heard much about it

Sonos (modded??)/ DAC with preamp (Naim DAC-V1 or M-DAC) : I am told the Sonos is not a good enough source and the output is too 'dirty'

Other source / DAC with preamp as above: Any source advice welcome

Other

Any guidance gratefully received!

Thanks

Timmer

I would at least start by using your laptop as source, get a preamp/dac such as the new M2Tech young/DSD , perhaps JRiver as your playback software, you can remote control from your phone / iPad with the Jremote app.
Keith.

I'd get a dem of the Naim NAC N172 XS for sure - it's a really simple solution because all you need is a NAS or a computer somewhere on your network running a UPnP server. It is it's own source - it just pulls data across your network. Elegant, simple, naims own control software, will do high res. DACs like the V1 are USB DACs and are intended for people who want to use a pc/mac or laptop as a source. This strategy has it's own merits - being able to use a preferred media player being one of them, but the possible disadvantage that you have to tether a computer to your Hifi. The Sonos/spdif/DAC-pre solution seems to me to be the least sensible option - the spdif output of the Sonos doesn't attempt to be of high quality, it won't do hi-res at all.

Naim's iPad app is indeed very nice, especially the album/artist notes "virtual booklet" which is a great replacement for the physical media.

advertisement

Back