advertisement

Streaming music woes

timpy

Speaker Abuser
Hello Chaps,
As the backstory is looking a bit tedious, the quick version is: I’m after some pointers re: streaming services. Can anyone recommend a streaming service that allows use of ASIO / WASAPI drivers in their app on Windows 10, that also has decent downtempo electronica library, Anjunadeep, Hope Recordings etc.

This is for system 2 in the office which is almost exclusively PC driven by a Windows 10 machine > Mutec M3+ USB > Topping DX7Pro > Exposure XXV (currently Belles Aria on loan) > Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6 (with ones with the BMR).

I have masses of ripped from CD FLAC files running through Media Monkey using ASIO and exclusive mode. These sound fabulous and run correctly at their native bit rate. Currently I also have an Amazon Music HD subscription, and mostly these sound passable for short periods but they become irritating after about 20 minutes, in the same way that MP3 files used to sound irritating through my old Wadia 15 / Mackie HR624 setup.

The Amazon music app allows exclusive mode, but essentially everything is going through the Windows core mixer it seems and is being re-sampled to 16bit 48kHz. What I want to achieve is a streaming service that sounds as good as the ripped CDs do. I had run TIDAL but even before the MQA B.S. it tended to sound a bit “hi-fi” at hi resolution. For ages I thought I must be imagining this but couldn’t shake the feeling it wasn’t “right” so I moved away to Amazon Music because they had almost as decent a library as Spotify and an HD service was available. But I’m not happy with it. Yes I could set the PC to default to 16bit 44.1KHz, but some of their files are supposed to be 24 bit, so 24bit 44.1Khz might be the one to use, but the old “bit perfect” is unlikely to get a look in either way. How hard can this be?

Anyway, Qobuz looks like a potential option, and allows the ability (I think) to purchase music in CD quality or better, unlike Amazon. A quick search seems to have turned up that it has never heard of the label Anjunadeep though for instance – that’s going to be a problem.

Any ideas welcomed. Many thanks in advance.

Never heard of that label but loads on Spotify. I am no expert but I get very good results running my Sonos into a really good dac which lifts the sound. It's good into a teac dac and a jolida valve dac

Anyway, Qobuz looks like a potential option, and allows the ability (I think) to purchase music in CD quality or better, unlike Amazon. A quick search seems to have turned up that it has never heard of the label Anjunadeep though for instance – that’s going to be a problem.

Any ideas welcomed. Many thanks in advance.

https://play.qobuz.com/label/88248

a few albums there... not sure how many you would expect to see

Peter

advertisement

Back