advertisement

Streaming front end options

Mort2k

pfm Member
Evening collective wisdom.

I am pondering the future of my front end, currently NDX/XPSDR. Rest of the system is spot on and most likely at my end game (Active SBL & 52/Sc).

Before I just follow the abvious naim path to 555 / nds or nd555 I want to explore other options.

So I am looking for suggestions based on the following criteria.

1. Must be streaming based
  2. Must read flac either direct from qnap nas or via a media pc on the network (currently assettupnp)
  3. Simple intuitive front end app, must be IOS based.
  4. Work well in Naim system
  5. No more than two levels of Fraim, one would be nice
  6. Music not hifi
  7. Step up up from currently front end.
Cost are a factor, but I will go NDS/555 if it gives me what I need so all options considered.

Asking here to get a wider view. Off to Bristol show so want a ‘go see list’

Thanks.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I suggest you look at the latest Linn Akurate DSM with their new dac chip.

Has everything you need and also includes room optimisation ability.

The control point works very well on iOS.

Cheers

John

Have you considered adding an external DAC. Hugo seems to be the usual recommendation, and you could easily fund this by selling the XPS, which would probably no longer be needed, but there are, of course, lots of alternatives.

The Auralic Vega G2 will do everything on your list, but there are some novel upgrade options available too. Auralic is sharing room 104 with Spendor at the Bristol Show. Please be sure to mention us.

Have you considered adding an external DAC. Hugo seems to be the usual recommendation, and you could easily fund this by selling the XPS, which would probably no longer be needed, but there are, of course, lots of alternatives.
Hi

So keep the bare NDX as a streaming front end, add the Hugo as the DAC ?
Interesting.
Thanks.

The Auralic Vega G2 will do everything on your list, but there are some novel upgrade options available too. Auralic is sharing room 104 with Spendor at the Bristol Show. Please be sure to mention us.
Thanks this is a new vendor will have a look at the show. Any dealers in the north on England. .?

Hi Rob,

I suggest you look at the latest Linn Akurate DSM with their new dac chip.

Has everything you need and also includes room optimisation ability.

The control point works very well on iOS.

Cheers

John
Thanks John will take a look.

I have FLAC files on a QNAP running Asset, I use Tidal too.

Main streamer was NDX in amongst a mainly Naim system. I've been looking to move up for a while, the NDS was my obvious choice but I've ended up changing things totally, not just the streamer, features/options were a factor.

I recently listened to and tried a few different Brands and Apps, like T+A, Auralic, LightningDS and Roon.

Maybe look at adding a DAC to your NDX, Chord or Mytek are well regarded. If you are not worried about the bells and whistles like Roon and MQA then the NDS is the obvious next step to keep you all in the Naim family if you like the NDX and just want more of the same.

Other things to look into aside from Auralic are Aurender and Innuos.

Only thing is they may all be a bit Hi Fi and not what you like best about the way music is presented.

I've ended up with a very different system now, was NDX/282/500/804D2, (552 was next but then with a few changes in between I am at Aries G2/Lyngdorf/Martin Logan.

I do prefer what I have now and I'm really pleased I went with the Auralic.

Gus

I'd go on hold for an NDS just now, especially if wanting to buy used, or if you are concerned about residual values. Naim announced a new ND555 streamer for Bristol a few days ago (after a leak).

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/nd-555-rumour-update

This will have all of the new platform bells and whistles that came on the new Uniti's. It will only be shown and not heard at Bristol as it's not quite ready apparently but it does mean, sometime in 2018, NDS values will take a bit of a hit as many Naim users at the high end opt to move up to the ND555 and a glut of NDS come on the market.

I'd expect the new platform to trickle down to NDX and NDS level over the next year or so too. Just so you are aware...

Wonder how much that will come in at, presumably will needs PSUs. All the delays with the new streamers kinda put me off waiting for an NDX replacement, a couple of years seemed to be the general comment.

I think I read c£13k / $20k on the Naim forum. Pricing not confirmed though so these must be educated guesses only. No doubt you'll need a brace of power supplies to go with that too.

Anyway, point is, the Naim streaming platform update has started with the Nova/Star/Atom/ND555 and I'd be wary spending a lot of money on most of their existing range just now. They'll roll the new ones out fairly swiftly because customers are stamping their feet in the dealers demanding Roon, Chromecast, Airplay, Tidal etc.

Lots of big rig Naim users have moved on to the likes of Vitus so that might be a brand worth a look if you are brought up on the Naim sound but want more and/or better VFM.

Hi

So keep the bare NDX as a streaming front end, add the Hugo as the DAC ?
Interesting.
Thanks.
The advantage of this approach is that you can pick up a used Hugo for under £700 these days, give it a try, and sell it on if you don't like it. Be prepared to spend a bit of time experimenting with setup, especially the output level on the Hugo.

advertisement

Back