advertisement

Streaming for a Noob - Need Help/Advise

echann

pfm Member
Currently running Avondale Arcam A5+, 52/135/Royd RR2. Power is on a dedicated spur.

Looking to get into streaming wirelessly from my IMac ITunes. I just bought myself a Squeezebox Touch to get the process started.

My questions:
1 Is the Squeezebox's PSU really worth changing to a linear supply? If so which one for a reasonable price? ie not more than $200.
2 Does the SB sound via analog suck? If so.....onto 3.
3 Which DAC? So much choice. Probably don't want to go to Rega DAC level initially. My initial thinking was DACMAGIC but so much conflicting opinion.

Ta

Hi echann,

Some swear that a linear PSU makes a difference. Try one. If you don't like it, send it back. The SB via analogue does not suck. It's a surprisingly decent sound and is comparable to a dacmagic. I'd go for the best DAC you can afford. There are so many options now from Arcam and Musical Fidelity at the budget end to the M2Tech Young and Benchmark at the more expensive end. Naim and Antelope can be found further up the ladder. I personal use a Musical Fidelity M1 Dac which is very good. I found it edged the Rega in terms of clarity and realism within my own set up. I would like to try the Young Dac.

The SB Touch benefits from a better PSU, but only/mainly when used through its analog output. I've had good results with this: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.a...booster-best-of-two-worlds-psu-for-squeezebox
(sold it shortly after I got a better dac though)

I'm also using the SB Touch. My previous streamer was the SB Classic.
The SB Touch sounds significantly better than the SB Classic, either through its analog or digital output. I had a CA DACmagic on the end of my SB Classic, but the DACmagic didn't seem to do anything for the SB Touch.
So,...for even a few tenners less than the DACmagic, I got me this Dutch dac made by Metrum Acoustics: http://www.nosminidac.nl/NOS_mini_DAC_English.html

Now, my SB Touch + Metrum dac sounds on a par with a Naim CD5i-2, that I recently used in my system. (actually, I slightly prefer the streaming-combo, for half the price of the Naim CD5i-2)

regards,
Alco

advertisement

Back