advertisement

Streaming and PFM users.

If I were a hip young gunslinger, I'd probably stream, or buy cassettes. As I'm an older person who already purchased most of the music i want to listen to, streaming would just be paying extra to listen to what I already have.

I agree with your point, “already purchased most of the music I want to listen to...”

My lust for hearing a new artist or emerging genre has lessened significantly in the last 12 years or so. I used to love finding something new that few had heard and then chasing for more. Addictive.

I have plenty of music that I enjoy, and a fair amount I hardly know. Plenty to be getting on with.

After saying that, if something catches my ear on 6Music, I might have a quick stroll through their stuff on youtube. Rare event though. Usually I hear something and my first thought is that it sounds like [insert artist].

Tony hit most of my nails on the head.

Also I don’t want the often quoted, “convenience “ of streaming.

I don’t like the convenience of ‘ready meals’ or buying a bag of carrots that have been already peeled and chopped.

I have no desire for ‘self-driving’ cars. I am no fan of automatic transmissions.

It goes to show that there is no right & wrong in all this.
It’s just a matter of what’s right or wrong for the individual.
Vinyl, reel to reel, cd, downloads, streaming, or a combination of any of them can all be the right solution depending on the individual.
For me, the ability to listen to a vast library of varied music outweighs the need to physically own it all. I’ve got a fair bit of vinyl as a collection, I don’t feel the need to extend it with thousands of cd’s.
I do agree that the payment to the artists needs to be looked at carefully, but simply putting up the subscription cost would probably just further line the pockets of the already wealthy label heads rather than filtering though to the artists.

I used to love finding something new that few had heard and then chasing for more. Addictive.

I’m still very much there, both new and old material. There is just so much amazing stuff to discover, enjoy and learn from, I can’t imagine ever stopping.

I have no Tidal or Qobuz account.
I have tried Tidal twice for six or more months each time and always come back to what I have purchased.

However I rarely play vinyl and only play the occasional CD to keep the Cambridge CXU in running order (for occasional SACD ripping) - I usually play my ripped or downloaded files using Roon.

My streaming is limited to try before-you-buy listening on Bandcamp.

I stream Spotify in the background all day whilst working: laptop to bluetooth speaker. I get to hear lots of new stuff this way, and if it's something that really grabs me, I buy a physical version, LP or CD. There are so many interesting new bands & artists to explore - especially in the jazz idiom - and I want to support them in making new music by buying the finished product. It's a small piece of art, after all. I've spent a small fortune via Bandcamp and band's own sites recently, and far less on Amazon (unless 2nd hand).

I have a new streamer for the main system, but mainly to allow my wife to play music with ease (she's intimidated by the t/t).

I use streaming predominantly to find new music. Reading articles here and watching YouTube vids (some hifi review channels are more interesting for their music choices than the review itself.) - I'll look recommendations up on Tidal (usually 3-6-months trial offer) and if I like it I buy it. I'll look for the vinyl first to see if I can find a nice pressing, otherwise I'll buy the CD. I very rarely listen via Tidal to anything I already have on Vinyl or CD (or CD-Rip) unless I'm enjoying a music listening session with my wife, then it's just a lot easier to stream.

I try not to use Spotify streaming for day-day listening and I only have the free version with ads. Until they start paying artists properly they wont be getting more support from me

Musicians protest outside Spotify offices worldwide for 'Justice At Spotify' campaign (nme.com)

I wonder what it would take if people were billed monthly for their downloads/streams like a gas/electricity meter. Say £10-12 per album download 16/44.1, how much for per streamed track? 10p per track? It would have to be governmental regulation or competition would kill them off...

I began streaming when I purchased a Sonos amp for my living room to add to the Play 3 purchased for my wife to use with Spotify in the kitchen. I have gone from 95 percent LP to 75 percent streaming. I never valued purchasing CD’s so streaming has allowed me to catch up on music that was never available on vinyl. I also enjoy listening to the playlists AI creates which lead me to new artists whose albums I end up exploring.

Perhaps there’s something special about Sonos and the dedicated network it sets up but I find the sound quality to be very satisfying. Reading all the digital discussions that go on the forum have me delighted I never got into digital earlier. If streaming and listening to music via the Sonos wasn’t so convenient and easy to do, I’m not sure I’d be where I’m at today.

I don't see how streaming can't form part of any balanced musical diet in this day and age.

Easy, with a very large local music collection streaming has absolutely no appeal whatsoever to me. Discovery is through a chat group of music lovers with varied tastes whom I've known for many years and if I want to sample something I point my browser to YouTube or bandcamp. With streaming you also have no control over the release you're listening to and many remasters are botch jobs.

For me it’s not the case of wanting to listen in order to see what I want to own.

I’ve just listened to a version of Imagine sung by Yoko, CD quality via Tidal or Qobuz (no idea which as I use both in Roon). Now I’ve no inclination to buy or own this album but am glad I heard this version.

Whilst I do want to support current artists and do buy CDs, downloads and (used to) go to a lot of gigs, I have no great desire to give Yoko or the estate of Charles Mingus a few more shekels.

Streaming is probably for me now what radio was from the mid 70s to 25th October 2004. With its AI and the ability to immediately listen to music recommended here, streaming has given me access to the (imaginary) guy down the roads amazing record collection.

It gives me the ability to listen to music without having recorded it on a BASF or Maxell C90 from a John Peel or Nick Kershaw or Top 30 show.

We really do need to find a way to make sure artists get fairly paid but perhaps Patreon or suchlike is the answer here in the absence (for the majority) of physical media to purchase.

.sjb

advertisement

Back