advertisement

Strangest thing you ate

It's too dear though...

Too dear? A pun missed so far? :)

If not it very much depends upon two things - what you call "too dear", and where you buy from.

I'll give anything a go once. But durian is probably the only thing I wouldn't give a go twice.

It was like a cross between bad onions and a rotting corpse. The great Anthony Bourdain (of blessed memory) once stated, "...Your breath will smell as if you’d been French-kissing your dead grandmother.”

I ate a fried blood and sherry in Spain a few years ago. It was pretty grim too. It was more mousse than black pudding.

Durian - I have eaten durian toffees - a common flavour in a lot of the Far East. I have never eaten, French-kissed or smelt rotting corpse, but to me it started like a strong cheese and as you chewed it tasted like creamy mango. Everyone else in the office stuck it as far as the strong cheese taste. I liked them.

There are several species of tree fruit that are traded as durian, so beware, no doubt some are odder than others.

Blood and sherry - not unlike black pud' - it depends on what else is in there.

HAS anyone tried cat - As mentioned I find the idea repulsive, much more so than dog, I don’t mean big cat (we’ve already had lion), and I don’t want any pussy noshing stories either!

99.99999% of this is custom and practise, coupled with cuddly pet syndrome.

I would find it VERY tricky to eat cat or dog, and I don't ever recall hearing of anywhere where cat is an accepted/normal (if rare, even) diet item for humans.

I could eat it, but have mixed feeling about eating bear, except that I am absolutely 110% behind use it or lose it. In VERY may cases across the world, wildlife has a significant value to Joe Average somewhere, or it has no place - elephant, rhino, lion, tiger, wild dog, you name it, and that VERY seldom stacks up against tourism of any kind at all - the refuge argument of so very many naive tree-huggers.
Anyway, a couple of years back, one of the regular R4 comedians ate bear as part of a US tour and he was VERY apprehensive, BUT reckoned it was the best burger he had ever eaten.
Black bears are tolerated for a whole list of reasons in the US, in part because they have lots of wilderness on a large scale, but also because they are dumb enough to think that shooting a ponderous, easily approached mammal is sport. LONG may that continue, LONG may the black bear prosper in the US.

Mushy peas.

Not strange, unless you try and get a pea mix in chip shops down south.

I remember leaving home and moving to the Isle of Wight in the early eighties. Couldn't get mushy peas in the chip shops, same went for onion gravy... Hard times.

My southern wife still thinks mushy peas are the devils work.

LLLLOL - **** mixes - they were totally unknown to me even after 20 years in Leicester, until I started work in Derby. The usual one, of many, is curry mix.

Mushy peas - just processed peas cooked for too long - typical of idle northerners that don't care much WHAT they eat.

LLLLOL - **** mixes - they were totally unknown to me even after 20 years in Leicester, until I started work in Derby. The usual one, of many, is curry mix.

Mushy peas - just processed peas cooked for too long - typical of idle northerners that don't care much WHAT they eat.

Sorry to correct you, but mushy peas are not "processed peas cooked for too long,"

Marrowfat peas, look 'em up,

snake wine in Thailand cured a hangover, although Mouse Wine in China cured nothing.

The only food I didnt try when offered was Warthog Anus stew, which is a delicacy in Namibia.

Processed peas are marrowfat peas that have been rehydrated, and usually tinned. Splitting hairs here me thinks.

Whatever, they have been allowed to mature a HELL of a lot longer than what most people regard as "peas" or "garden peas". Mushy peas happen to have been cooked long enough for the skins to separate and float off, then to be skimmed off. More than that mushy and processed peas taste identical.

I can remember the introduction of frozen foods to Joe Public, and peas were up there amongst the first. Before that, there were fresh or dried peas (dried with a wrapped tablet to get them back to (greyish-)green when cooked).

I think there are many who are not interested in mushy peas. I count myself amongst them.

I like raw peas from the pod.....but not that interesting.

I use bags of frozen peas to ease the swelling on my f*cked ankles, again, not that interesting

Processed peas are marrowfat peas that have been rehydrated, and usually tinned. Splitting hairs here me thinks.

Whatever, they have been allowed to mature a HELL of a lot longer than what most people regard as "peas" or "garden peas". Mushy peas happen to have been cooked long enough for the skins to separate and float off, then to be skimmed off. More than that mushy and processed peas taste identical.

I can remember the introduction of frozen foods to Joe Public, and peas were up there amongst the first. Before that, there were fresh or dried peas (dried with a wrapped tablet to get them back to (greyish-)green when cooked).

wrong.

I think there are many who are not interested in mushy peas. I count myself amongst them.

A dash of vinegar on the top and they’re even better.

But the true nectar of the gods are pigeon peas. With some of the liquor they’re cooked in, and vinegar, they really are superb. When I was little they used to be cooked over an open fire at the local fair by a firm called Butterworths. I could eat some now.

A dash of vinegar on the top and they’re even better.

But the true nectar of the gods are pigeon peas. With some of the liquor they’re cooked in, and vinegar, they really are superb. When I was little they used to be cooked over an open fire at the local fair by a firm called Butterworths. I could eat some now.

Never heard of them, but they sound tasty. Do you have a recipe to try? Something simple.

advertisement

Back