advertisement

Strangest thing you ate

Durian fruit, on a business trip to Malaysia. It was ordered for me and a colleague by our hosts in the expectation that we would not stomach it. I ate all of mine without any difficulty - if you can ignore what your nose is telling you it actually tastes ok - a bit custardy. My colleague was gagging from the first mouthful and had to leave the table. :D
There is also Tempoyak, which is fermented durian. A really strong taste and used to overwhelm the dirty taste of river catfish like Patin

There was a durian stall set up in front of my condo gatehouse for the last three months, a beautiful smell coming home in the evening

Spent a couple of years on Borneo, and I'm up for the unusual - so amongst other things - jellyfish (dried or steamed), all sorts of wierd fish/ seabed-dwelling things that crawl with slimy legs upon a slimy sea... also Sago grubs (taste like potato, texture like yoghurt, don't look them in the eye), crocodile, bits of various snakes, some other things - I even once fed @stevec67 here Belacan, in the form of Udang Sambal, and he was at least ...polite about it.
Very good it was too! Not something I'd want every day, and a very particular flavour, think fishy sour Marmite, but very tast y.

I don't really eat much processed food - but dear blessus I have a soft spot for those things. Haven't seen them for years, thought they might have been banned :)
Still made in Scotland. I know the factory. Baxters, in Fochabers. I wasn't responsible for that building, mine was next door on the same site, but I did visit occasionally. The line had been shipped up from a site in Kings Lynn that closed. The ingredients in those pies are spot on, spoilt rather by the process.

The ingredients in those pies are spot on, spoilt rather by the process.

In reality there's not much meat in one, but I'm prepared to accept it's good meat. Not being able to cook the crust through - or at least I've never been able to - is part of the attraction, the pies wouldn't be the same with a totally crispy flaky crust.

My daughter brought some extremely smelly cheese back from a school trip to France. We couldn’t eat it and thought it must be ‘off’, being rather un-travelled at the time. I took it to work and dumped it in a waste paper bin at the end of the corridor, shortly afterwards my boss stormed in warning everyone not to visit the photocopier for a while as some inconsiderate bastard had done the smelliest fart imaginable there.
I still can’t bear the smell of that stuff.
Epoisses? Marvellous, but wash your hands afterwards. I first had it in a restaurant, it smells like someone has already eaten it once but tastes amazing, like grass and moist earth. They then brought the dessert, the odour of the cheese on my fingers made it impossible to get the spoon to my mouth until I washed my hands.

Epoisses? Marvellous, but wash your hands afterwards. I first had it in a restaurant, it smells like someone has already eaten it once but tastes amazing, like grass and moist earth. They then brought the dessert, the odour of the cheese on my fingers made it impossible to get the spoon to my mouth until I washed my hands.

Epoisses? Well, that’s not exactly what we called it!

Re processed food, corned beef!
From the fridge and sliced with salad or in a hash or similarly added to bubble 'n' squeak.
Still addicted.
The latter two remind me of family camping holidays as a nipper.
When in the UK I couldn't keep away from the local Three Cooks bakeries, their jam doughnuts along with chicken & mushroom pies were the best.

In the late 60's, when getting my first pin no for banking, they gave you a small envelope and inside was the pin no. The note inside said remember the number and destroy this slip, so I ate it in front of the clerk.

Bloss

Raw mussel in a fruit de mer in Arrachon. Tasted of iron and blood. The French owner of the accommodation we were staying in was not a fan. Our youngest loved them.

We had "Spamen" for an easy dinner last night. Ramen in a spicy broth with a gently fried egg and sliced Spam on top. Surprisingly aceptable, unlike the price of Spam these days. Two feckin' quid for a little can.

Did it for a laugh, but with a little refinement of the Broth...

Or could have been Livarot. This is much worse than Epoisses. I adore Epoisses but can’t face Livarot, especially the industrial stuff they make.

Tried most things mentioned so far on the thread.
Some I enjoyed and many I didn’t.
Will always give something ago.

Very good it was too! Not something I'd want every day, and a very particular flavour, think fishy sour Marmite, but very tast y.
Belacan reminds me of what Lea and Perrins used to taste like when I was a kid before it was dumbed down.

One thing I wasn't taken with was bone marrow. Maybe I was unlucky, but it wasn't very tasty and it reminded me of a cross between jelly and fat.

I'll give anything a go once. But durian is probably the only thing I wouldn't give a go twice.

It was like a cross between bad onions and a rotting corpse. The great Anthony Bourdain (of blessed memory) once stated, "...Your breath will smell as if you’d been French-kissing your dead grandmother.”

I ate a fried blood and sherry in Spain a few years ago. It was pretty grim too. It was more mousse than black pudding.

Not on my travels, but I used to eat raw sausages as a kid. This must have been before salmonella.

advertisement

Back