advertisement

Strange Hunky Dory Cover Variant

Mr.Nic

pfm Member
While browsing through a box of records I'd picked up, I found an odd (to me) cover variant. After a bit of searching I eventually found the following info:

RCA SF-8244/LSP-4623 - Canada 12/1971

Release notes: orange label, "Dynaflex" pressing, label: 8244, cover: 4623 (this combination original)

Tracks: see UK issue

Collector's notes: An interesting minor cover variation. The artist's name and title are printed in a typeface completely different from that of the other versions worldwide.

This issue (of which both cover and record are definitely made in Canada) has the US catalogue number on the sleeve and the British number on the label. Note that it doesn't have any MainMan credits. According to the information currently (11/2014) available in the vinyl discography of the Illustrated db Discography, this is actually the first Canadian release of this record.
There are definitely also orange label issues that have the North American catalogue number on both cover and labels. It's difficult to say which issue came first.

I'm guessing it's not that rare, it was just odd seeing it without the typical Hunky Dory lettering. Anyone else come across this one before?

I'm pretty sure I had one for a while, I certainly had a Canadian Dynaflex. It was the thinnest record I've ever seen, not much more than a flexi-disc, but it sounded great, really alive and dynamic. I may actually have preferred it to the orange UK copy I replaced it with, I just wanted a nice full set of UK orange (which I have bar Pin-Ups!).

I remember reading an article a few years ago which stated the very earliest UK pressings didn't have the title printed on the cover, and this was added for later repressings. I don't think I've ever seen such a variant - anyone else?

Snap!

Here's mine - it is indeed an early Canadian pressing, and my go-to Hunky Dory pressing. Like Tony says, it is a very dymamic sounding pressing, although I don't find the vinyl particularly thin.
Matrix APRS-5947 / APR-59-48

Mark
P1030076_zps60nemvgs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

advertisement

Back