advertisement

Stock Market 2022

I'd say it is doing alright against gold.

no, it is acting like it is a tech stock in a bubble. You might as well have invested in gamestop. That is not what gold is about, gold is about decoupling from the stock market (or cash in an inflation scenario) and preserving wealth in a crisis. There is still a need for an asset like that that, IMO.

no, it is acting like it is a tech stock in a bubble. You might as well have invested in gamestop. That is not what gold is about, gold is about decoupling from the stock market (or cash in an inflation scenario) and preserving wealth in a crisis. There is still a need for an asset like that that, IMO.

Nice 10 year bubble!

Everything is a bubble if you zoom out far enough.

I'm kind of surprised the price of gold isn't moving much. I'd assumed inflation and stock market fears would both be sending the price up.

I'm kind of surprised the price of gold isn't moving much. I'd assumed inflation and stock market fears would both be sending the price up.

Tell me about it. I've been going on about inflation not being 'Transitory' as predicted for over a year now. I put a hedge in on gold accordingly. I got the inflation part right but golds response isn't what I expected...

I did wonder if enough 'inflation hedge' money was being diverted to crypto to make a dent in gold but the market cap of gold is about 10x of crypto.

Tell me about it. I've been going on about inflation not being 'Transitory' as predicted for over a year now. I put a hedge in on gold accordingly. I got the inflation part right but golds response isn't what I expected...

I did wonder if enough 'inflation hedge' money was being diverted to crypto to make a dent in gold but the market cap of gold is about 10x of crypto.

If you look at the 5 year gold chart, it already has gone up. Traders from about late 2018 onwards already saw the inflation threat and the price rose accordingly. That's my take on it anyway.

At least you aren't losing money by holding gold. that is already a good thing in the current environment!

Regarding cryptocurrency this made me laugh. A very funny (IMO) gamer-geek/exploit channel, but this is what happens if you stick $10 in every available cryptocurrency…

PS I’ve never had the confidence to buy-into crypto though do tend to kick myself I didn’t dive in right at the very start of bitcoin and mine a few. It just sounded like bollocks at the time.

Regarding cryptocurrency this made me laugh. A very funny (IMO) gamer-geek/exploit channel, but this is what happens if you stick $10 in every available cryptocurrency…

PS I’ve never had the confidence to buy-into crypto though do tend to kick myself I didn’t dive in right at the very start of bitcoin and mine a few. It just sounded like bollocks at the time.

Well the crypto shakeout continues today.

As I said, anyone that bought it on leverage will be getting 'the call'...the scary thing is how easy that was to do compared to say 20 years ago during the dot.com boom - that's why this time it IS DIFFERENT but not in a good way.
They were warned and ignored it so no sympathy sorry as they sure as hell were vocal on the way up.

I'm not saying crypto won't go back up (hell I'm buying into this collapse :) ) but it's going to leave some corpses along the way.

Think about the environmental impact of bitcoin mining and feel virtuous that you didn't contribute to the damage!

The big mining outfits have been holding their BTC preferring to use traditional finance and pay interest. Dunno how far it'll need to drop to cause the big guys like HUT 8 and CANAAN to lose sleep.

If you've no exposure to Crypto might be worth a look at cost averaging in a small % of portfolio.

Seems the prospect of war in the Ukraine may be another factor.

Precious metal prices extend gains on geopolitical and inflation concerns
Neil Hume

Precious metals made further gains today as tensions intensified between Russia and Ukraine and as concerns have risen about runaway inflation. Gold, which is typically bought as a hedge or haven by investors, hit $1,841 a troy ounce, extending gains since the start of December to more than 3 per cent. Gold-backed exchange traded funds on Friday last week bought almost 925,000 ounces of the metal, the biggest one-day increase since September 2020. “The gold market is benefiting from rising inflation,” said analysts at ANZ, citing data that showed the US consumer price index hitting a 40-year high.

Palladium, used to remove toxic emissions from the exhaust fumes of petrol and hybrid cars, advanced to $2,115 an ounce, up 12 per cent since the start of the year. Palladium is the metal most at risk if Russia invades Ukraine and is slapped with sanctions and export restrictions. Russia is expected to account for more than a third of refined supply this year, according to BMO Capital Markets. “We were already expecting platinum group prices to trend upwards in the first half of 2021, with the easing semiconductor shortage coinciding with a recovery in auto production,” said Colin Hamilton, analyst at BMO Capital Markets.

https://www.ft.com/content/e24c1a93-6a42-4c18-a62f-a8b36c20de9a

The big mining outfits have been holding their BTC preferring to use traditional finance and pay interest. Dunno how far it'll need to drop to cause the big guys like HUT 8 and CANAAN to lose sleep.

If you've no exposure to Crypto might be worth a look at cost averaging in a small % of portfolio.

That's what I'm at. Reinvesting what I gained on the last pump and dump. Just a bit of fun.

advertisement

Back