advertisement

Stock Market 2022

Yeah, just bought a second lot this morning and that's me done with Unilever....leave it 5 years thru thick and thin...

I should have gone in harder with GSK when I bought last Spring but hey I've still got a stake which is better than zero. I hadn't fully realised what a solid dividend payer they were.

GSK, Unilever

Took me by surprise and had to read about the situation in the financials on Monday. I've got enough GSK and have been looking for an opportunity to improve my Unilever holding. However, after criticism of Jope losing his way trying to put green credentials (if that's what they are) over profits AND the crazy punt for GSK's spin-off having the potential for a rights issue, has put me off a bit. My divi's over the years amount to far more than my initial stake, so I'm not too concerned.

Has anyone here read any of the Michael Lewis books .... ? Flash Boys, The Big Short, etc. ?

Yes, the big short and his first book on finance Liars Poker, the film of the big short is very entertaining another must see film on the crisis is inside job, I think it’s that film that points out a lot of the research done in Universities such as the Chicago school of economics is funded by the Wall Street banks, so the academic cheerleaders of laissez faire economics are bought paid for. The proponent of the stack ranking system loved by a lot of companies before being ditched as it was so damaging was another brilliant idea from the Chicago school.

There's a shock...

BBC News - UK cost of living rises again by 5.4%
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60050699

Not much reaction until yesterday afternoon with Andrew Bailey’s comments to the Treasury Select Committee:
- inflation expected to persist into 2023 due to high energy costs
- interest rates not expected to return to pre financial crisis levels due to structural reasons
- “worrying” signs of wage rises

Energy and banks dipped on the comments, growth due to recovery to disappoint? Would not surprise me, I think too many people will simply struggle to make ends meet come April.

Not much reaction until yesterday afternoon with Andrew Bailey’s comments to the Treasury Select Committee:
- inflation expected to persist into 2023 due to high energy costs
- interest rates not expected to return to pre financial crisis levels due to structural reasons
- “worrying” signs of wage rises

Energy and banks dipped on the comments, growth due to recovery to disappoint? Would not surprise me, I think too many people will simply struggle to make ends meet come April.

It's not just people that will struggle to make ends meet...Businesses as well. Some people seem to think there's some magic money tree to pay these inflated wages....the very same businesses that are affected by all the other inflationary pressures on their input costs. Any business that deals in actual 'stuff' can't get actual product to sell anyway. It's a shit storm IMO.

Except maybe Peleton (PTON) if you're feeling brave, now down 85% and back to Jan 2020 pre-hype levels ;-)

One of the funds I am invested in holds Peloton. Not impressed by that holding I must say. I wonder what other junk it has?

Netflix shares dropping...Direct to streaming for Blocksbusters that was all the talk in 2020 hasn't worked...just ask Disney.

The last thing people will want to do now restrictions are relaxed is sit at home even more than they have been!

so much for it being a replacement for gold as a store of value!

it is just mirroring tech stocks.

EWI getting smashed again!

EWI is nearly back to April 2020 levels....surely that's an over reaction?

Gold and Silver going up....finally. Old School mightn't be so bad after all...

EWI is nearly back to April 2020 levels....surely that's an over reaction?

hard to say. certainly a better buy now than when I bought it. Not sure I feel like topping up though. Would rather put more into Fundsmith after the current sell off runs out of steam.

advertisement

Back