advertisement

Stock Market 2022

Another 5% drop in SMT today so I'll definitely be looking at it tomorrow. what do people think about Fundsmith FEET

ARK has near halved...someone will be licking their wounds on that one and media have egg on their face elevating Cathie to mythical status....she's just a gambler like the rest and why didn't they know about all the tech company 'insiders' selling their shares and front running that LOL.
https://www.ft.com/content/07d9b3c3-9c8a-4d0f-bf25-a9e419d5b949

Paypal been hammered as well this last year.

I’ve got FEET, for a bit of diversification really, JMG also, both long term holds. Probably won’t add, more likely to add SMT if anything. EWI also dropped a lot. As Neil says, it’s quite similar to ARK. It’s one of those which is going to be volatile where I’m more interested to see what it looks like in 5 years time than next week, as I do think this is where the next wave of innovation is likely to feature.

Indeed, people did pile in on the dip and US markets were virtually flat at yesterday’s close after the earlier panic!

Anyone looked at India funds?

I think there will be more trouble ahead for stocks, China is going to implode soon IMO and the repercussions will be felt around the world.

Yes, I just feel there's storm could brewing this year and trying to hold back depoloying anymore cash. Only additions I've bought the last few months are CINE and EZY.

trying to hold back deploying any more cash.

Yes, but (I'm finding) it's a very dull mattress to be keeping it under at the mo'. Maybe wait 'til the Feb. MPC meeting to see if that will kick-start savings rates? I live in hope but sth has to happen re. inflation, increased mortgages and cost of living plus tax increases.

Yes, but (I'm finding) it's a very dull mattress to be keeping it under at the mo'. Maybe wait 'til the Feb. MPC meeting to see if that will kick-start savings rates? I live in hope but sth has to happen re. inflation, increased mortgages and cost of living plus tax increases.

Unlikely we'll see a return to the days of saving money in the bank and having it maintain its purchasing power!

Here's a great "big picture" article that explains why: https://themacrocompass.substack.com/p/endgame

Tech and innovation stocks hammered again. ARKK is down nearly 50% from the peak now.

I am now heavily underwater with EWI. Luckily it was only a small position. My other BG funds are suffering too but i have held them since 2018 so am still holding onto healthy gains.

Tech and innovation stocks hammered again. ARKK is down nearly 50% from the peak now.

I am now heavily underwater with EWI. Luckily it was only a small position. My other BG funds are suffering too but i have held them since 2018 so am still holding onto healthy gains.

Yes, I never got the whole ARKK thing. It pretty much follows my mantra of when some fund/person is the media darling....then run a mile. It was obvious a year ago that fairly risky play of hers was reaching a peak. There was greater chance of downside than upside so I wouldn't take that asymetric bet...

EWI is pretty much back to Jan 2020 levels.

It sure has been a strange 2 years...I said it was going to be a roller coaster when I started the original thread in Feb 2020 and that sure was an understatement!!

If anyone thinks humans acts logically then the last 2 years has been a prime example of the exact opposite.

What I've seen the higher risk stuff over the last 6 months is the institutional investors getting out of the game and leaving the Retail investors holding the can. Same old, same old story

The S&P 500, NASDAQ and most of the best performing funds of recent years are being propped up by a handful of names, Tesla, Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon etc.

Worth bearing in mind that insiders at these companies have been selling heavily since last year, and a 25% drawdown requires a 33% gain to get back to break even.

Google buying and investing in their London properties. They want people back in the office. You cannot beat face to face and social contact. Folks who think they can stay at home forever and watch the cash come in will have a bit of a shock IMHO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59980216

Yes, that was always going to be the outcome. I had so many telling me in 2020 that our small office properties were dead ducks. They're more in demand than ever with companies decentralising.

Google buying and investing in their London properties. They want people back in the office. You cannot beat face to face and social contact. Folks who think they can stay at home forever and watch the cash come in will have a bit of a shock IMHO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59980216

I think it depends. If you're a chatty sales guy or the sort of middle manager who likes to have six meetings a day then offices are great. If you're, say, a coder noisy open-plan offices can be a disaster.

Surely EWI and SMT are in the 'buy' zone now...for long term holding?

Last edited:

advertisement

Back