advertisement

Stock Market 2022

Bond market sell off this week was one of the biggest weekly moves in history.

Suggests bond traders believe the Fed actually will turn off the money printing machine, stock market still (mostly) in denial.

Chinese property market is going to be a big story this year.

It's worth about 30% of GDP and the Evergrande contagion is spreading.

Government is trying to get control of property prices....but as one of my favourite commentators said ... "You can't taper a Ponzi Scheme"

Bond market sell off this week was one of the biggest weekly moves in history.

Suggests bond traders believe the Fed actually will turn off the money printing machine, stock market still (mostly) in denial.

Trouble is, there are walls of cash seeking a return in a low interest rate, high inflation environment.

Trouble is, there are walls of cash seeking a return in a low interest rate, high inflation environment.

At what stage does the inflation triggered by the Covid helicopter money drop eat into that cash pile? We've all seen the inflated asset purchases the last 18 months

At what stage does the inflation triggered by the Covid helicopter money drop eat into that cash pile? We've all seen the inflated asset purchases the last 18 months

Christ knows. Any sign of further trouble and they’ll just print more. The #1 govt economic priority is house price growth.

Christ knows. Any sign of further trouble and they’ll just print more. The #1 govt economic priority is house price growth.

Yes, true about house prices. Sad state the world's got itself into...people's wealth is just some notional number in the banks IT system of what their house is worth on any particular day

True but in the financial markets it's cash that's been added to the system by governments and central banks. It could just as easily be taken away and then asset prices would fall in line with the reduced liquidity.

A larger percentage of people not being able to afford energy and food could cause a reassessment of priorities away from the stock/housing market. My friend in Spain says his energy bill has trebled in the last few months.

I really think this year will be different to the last two. If inflation falls later this year they may have another chance/excuse to throw in liquidity. As it stands, they've been left with egg on their faces with incorrect inflation predictions all thru 2021.

What are people doing re. SMT? I bought the last dip March 2021 at around 1000 and might add as looking to weight more into Trusts than individual shares. I'm also into FEET but not much else in terms of Trusts.

ARK's back to summer 2020 levels...the Queens been knocked off that thrown alright...

The 'Growth' story sure is dead in the water at the moment Hey. Funny that as I personally don't see the last two years as the most productive episode in human history.

True but in the financial markets it's cash that's been added to the system by governments and central banks. It could just as easily be taken away and then asset prices would fall in line with the reduced liquidity.

A larger percentage of people not being able to afford energy and food could cause a reassessment of priorities away from the stock/housing market. My friend in Spain says his energy bill has trebled in the last few months.

Yes, the cost of living squeeze is going to take its toll, together with tax rises. Consumer spending figures will be key. Believe me, I’m a property bear and the last 20 years has proved me wrong. Thankfully I went against these instincts but it’s clear the govt will do almost anything to keep the bubble afloat, it wins elections.

What are people doing re. SMT? I bought the last dip March 2021 at around 1000 and might add as looking to weight more into Trusts than individual shares. I'm also into FEET but not much else in terms of Trusts.

ARK's back to summer 2020 levels...the Queens been knocked off that thrown alright...

The 'Growth' story sure is dead in the water at the moment Hey. Funny that as I personally don't see the last two years as the most productive episode in human history.

I think growth stocks will overshoot on the downside, so worth waiting a bit longer before buying more in my opinion.

Think SMT also dipped under 1100 in May, remember topping up whilst waiting for a covid jab! As you’ll know, you need to give it a minimum 5 year timeframe. If you believe in their long term strategy, the inevitable dips are buying opportunities. The world will carry on evolving, irrespective of what financial markets are doing, and these guys will aim to back the right companies for growth, they certainly have good track record of doing so. I also like PCT (hold more than SMT), it’s a bit less volatile and they know what they’re doing.

Think SMT also dipped under 1100 in May, remember topping up whilst waiting for a covid jab! As you’ll know, you need to give it a minimum 5 year timeframe. If you believe in their long term strategy, the inevitable dips are buying opportunities. The world will carry on evolving, irrespective of what financial markets are doing, and these guys will aim to back the right companies for growth, they certainly have good track record of doing so. I also like PCT (hold more than SMT), it’s a bit less volatile and they know what they’re doing.

Actually, I do have PCT also (bought on the dip on advise from here).

Yes, these are SIPP stocks so long term holds. I will start feeding a bit more in gradually soon...

I would wait a bit and see what happens to inflation (especially US). Unless you believe it's a game of smoke and mirrors, central banks appear positioned to tighten if inflation takes off — and this would be a hit to asset prices. But if inflation fades (as they expect/hope) they can cool off on the tightening and then it's more or less "business as usual".

Another rout for BG trusts today. much more of this and I will have to consider moving some money to my stockbroking account ready to buy after the long awaited fall.

It's a sell off in the USA, even before any rate rises or tapering of QE / QT. FTSE was doing OK until the S&P opened, just goes to show how almost everything is correlated. Crypto down as well, not much use as a store of value against fiat money printing is it?

Sell on the rumour, buy on the news. the markets are discounting the rate rises already.

Another 5% drop in SMT today so I'll definitely be looking at it tomorrow. what do people think about Fundsmith FEET

ARK has near halved...someone will be licking their wounds on that one and media have egg on their face elevating Cathie to mythical status....she's just a gambler like the rest and why didn't they know about all the tech company 'insiders' selling their shares and front running that LOL.
https://www.ft.com/content/07d9b3c3-9c8a-4d0f-bf25-a9e419d5b949

Paypal been hammered as well this last year.

Another 5% drop in SMT today so I'll definitely be looking at it tomorrow. what do people think about Fundsmith FEET

ARK has near halved...someone will be licking their wounds on that one and media have egg on their face elevating Cathie to mythical status....she's just a gambler like the rest and why didn't they know about all the tech company 'insiders' selling their shares and front running that LOL.
https://www.ft.com/content/07d9b3c3-9c8a-4d0f-bf25-a9e419d5b949

Paypal been hammered as well this last year.

I do buy into Cathie’s innovation story, it’s just that things got out of hand last year and too many people bought at the top. If you had invested at fund inception, you would be sitting on handsome gains. It’s actually quite a similar fund to BG’s EWI with a lot of commonly held stocks.

i might buy some if it falls much further. Only a small amount mind.

advertisement

Back