advertisement

Stock Market 2022

It's the fact we could have a proper 'Worldwide' recession this time that worries me. Last time we had China as a growth engine to latch onto and control inflation...

Every country got Covid and had similar responses (at least in the West) so every country/region will be dealing with the sting in the Covid tail simultaneously.

Many are also holding alot more personal debt than compared to the run up to 2008...because sure interest rates are low until they aren't...

What surprises me is the number of people I know that were fully invested late last year. Anytime, I suggested that things may not be so good in 2022 they shouted down with "There's loads of liquidity in the system!!"

Unilever (they have their prob's a.t.m., but will come good again with new blood on the board), and GSK. Two of my best.

Yeah, I managed to get GSK and AZN in a bit of a price lull at some stage but bought ULV on a bit of a high and have enough ULV for now.

Yes, big pharma has done well. ULVR has disappointed (down overall and hold enough). Will come good I’m sure and happy to hold.

I'm working on two large shopping centre refurbishments built in the late 90's. Both are shifting focus from being retail to "Family Entertainment Centres" with cinemas, crazy golf, VR stuff etc. It's the only option they have left really.

Hmmm...

Powell: "Rapid changes are taking place in the global monetary system that may affect the international role of the dollar."

A US central bank digital currency is being examined to "help the US dollar's international standing."

I'm working on two large shopping centre refurbishments built in the late 90's. Both are shifting focus from being retail

I started coming across these new malls from the early eighties. Within a few years, I was finding many new shopping centres on an annual basis where there had been none a year or so previously. Bloody nuisance, as it caused me a lot of extra work making enquiries, drawing maps and entering tenants, both on site and when transposing to editorial copy at home (and I was only paid per page !!!!!).

My first impressions were of the proliferation of gift/gadget shops and, of course, fashion. Some of these malls were multi-storey and huge, and I wondered how on Earth all these new outlets can make money, but it was the beginning of a wealth heyday courtesy of Maggie's reign and succeeding decades (with blips).

Of course these huge expansions of retail outlets couldn't last, even with an increasing population and younger spending demographic. The rot started, I feel, before the pandemic but repurposing these retail conurbations will be the way forward. However, turning them into entertainment centres is, I think, a bit short-sighted. What an opportunity for new apartment housing, inappropriate from a construction aspect as that may be.

Bitcoin crashed through the $20k barrier today, 5% down in a day.
Who would accept it for payment when its doing that?

At least with the Unilevers of the world, you know that they have a profit making business next week.

Bitcoin crashed through the $20k barrier today, 5% down in a day.
Who would accept it for payment when its doing that?

At least with the Unilevers of the world, you know that they have a profit making business next week.

It's long since lost its purpose as a currency, you'd no more buy something with BTC than you'd carry around a lump off gold in your pocket.

It's long since lost its purpose as a currency, you'd no more buy something with BTC than you'd carry around a lump off gold in your pocket.

That's a bit of a worry. Gold is still viewed as a safe haven store of value - almost a pseudo currency.

It sounds like you're suggesting crypto is a 100% speculative play with no real world use(?) in which case the only reason for holding it really is the 'greater fool' theory.

It sounds like you're suggesting crypto is a 100% speculative play with no real world use(?) in which case the only reason for holding it really is the 'greater fool' theory

Big mistake people make is interchanging BTC/crypto, they're not all one thing.

Some are speculative investments that just follow tech stocks, which is where I'd now place BTC. Some are designed for a whole host of other use cases too long to list. But that is usually too much effort for folk to look into.

I'll be topping up and averaging in all the way down to the bottom, which I expect could be below the 300SMA, depending on the macro financial picture it wouldn't even surprise me if we retest $10k. I can smell the replies from here if we do that lol

Big mistake people make is interchanging BTC/crypto, they're not all one thing.

Some are speculative investments that just follow tech stocks, which is where I'd now place BTC. Some are designed for a whole host of other use cases too long to list. But that is usually too much effort for folk to look into.

I'll be topping up and averaging in all the way down to the bottom, which I expect could be below the 300SMA, depending on the macro financial picture it wouldn't even surprise me if we retest $10k. I can smell the replies from here if we do that lol
Plenty of info if folk google about real world and currently active/successful blockchain crypto projects.

Likewise I’ll be dipping back in.

What surprises me is the number of people I know that were fully invested late last year. Anytime, I suggested that things may not be so good in 2022 they shouted down with "There's loads of liquidity in the system!!"

Thing is, you just never know what’s going to happen. For someone looking medium to long term, chances are they are better invested than in cash. Not just stocks, we all know the madness of house prices but look at some of the guys on housepricecrash, sat on the sidelines convinced there would be the mother of all crashes. They’ve been waiting a very long time and still are (paying rent in the meantime). Sure, house prices could easily drop 25%, which would only take us back to pre covid levels. Can’t believe I’ve just written that. The global economy stops and prices didn’t fall. If things really hit the fan, there’s no way any govt will watch tens of thousands of homes be repossessed. Same with pension funds. We know the game is rigged, they’ll just find more ways of doing so, there are plenty of levers yet to pull.

advertisement

Back