advertisement

Stock Market 2022

Still unclear to me why the gold price is where it (still) is...

Tell me about it.
I called inflation right, got into gold and not doing much is it...it's held strong when lots are collapsing though so not a Biggie

The narrative on gold's underperformance was that crypto was more popular - where people wanted to be. May change with the recent collapse.

It's not just gold but gold miners. Their price makes even less sense than gold. Anyway, I'll hold as nowhere else to put it?

The narrative on gold's underperformance was that crypto was more popular - where people wanted to be. May change with the recent collapse.

I can't see any signs of Crypto money rotating into it yet so they better get a hurry up :)

It's not just gold but gold miners. Their price makes even less sense than gold. Anyway, I'll hold as nowhere else to put it?

a brave investor would probably consider getting back into some bombed out stocks. I am not that brave.

Comment on the financial pages this week has generally been that the safehaven money you'd expect to be buying gold has instead been flowing into bonds on the expectation of a fed rate rise (which turned out to be correct).

Crypto market cap is still only about 1/10th that of gold...I think

Not surprised but fundamentals and crypto aren't happy bedfellows. I heard somewhere that despite the recent fall in the value of crypto it has still outperformed all other assets classes over five years. Of course the devil is in the detail but if that is actually true then gold may continue to stall as investors pine for more crypto highs.

Petrol and gas inflation are also in part because the oversupply and resulting crash in energy prices during the pandemic forced the energy companies to reduce output, and it takes time to increase the output.

It's also in part because the new Saudi regime, headed by Mohammed bin Salman, that orchestrated the murder of Jamal Khashoggi is not on good terms with the West and is using this opportunity to profit by not increasing output to lower oil prices.

The Russian invasion is certainly not helping, but oil and gas are currently in a perfect storm - I think even without the invasion we'd be seeing high prices.

Iranian and Venezuelan oil are effectively blocked from the market causing additional upward pressure on prices.

Not surprised but fundamentals and crypto aren't happy bedfellows. I heard somewhere that despite the recent fall in the value of crypto it has still outperformed all other assets classes over five years. Of course the devil is in the detail but if that is actually true then gold may continue to stall as investors pine for more crypto highs.
Apparently streaming service revenue has slumped as the young try to cut back to buy food, so I can't see a rush of new crypto investors for a while.

I'm glad I got out of BP and Shell earlier this month anyway as even those are looking shaky.

Sit tight on cash time ...

Am disappointed at the 0.25% hike today, esp. after the 0.75% one in the U.S.A. Our inflation is higher too! Some pundits were suggesting a 0.5% hike but the BoE is understandably cautious. Every time there's a rise nowadays, I get an email from my savings investment companies saying they're reviewing their rates (for July 1st currently) but 'don't call us, we'll call you'.

It's been so long since this escalation of interest rates scenario that I've forgotten whether to lock into fixed accounts or stay variable. So far it's the latter, based upon fixed 1 year rates last October which have now been exceeded by the latest rise.

Looking like a buying opportunity for stocks coming up, and I do like those divi's coming in every month and wouldn't mind a few more. Things look decidedly more risky now than at the outbreak of the Gulf War in '03 when I luckily called the bottom of the market to start my small portfolio. I wonder which sectors are likely to ride out the storm.

advertisement

Back