advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The smart trader nowadays will plan to divest from exchange-traded commodities. And, importantly, in subordinate-rated markets be sure to leverage revolving-loan instruments. I cannot state this strongly enough: In the derivatives market, never amortize high-yield capital adequacy requirements.

Joe

You feeling OK Joe ?

The smart trader nowadays will plan to divest from exchange-traded commodities. And, importantly, in subordinate-rated markets be sure to leverage revolving-loan instruments. I cannot state this strongly enough: In the derivatives market, never amortize high-yield capital adequacy requirements.

Joe

My thoughts exactly Joe, I was going to say exactly that but you beat me Tui(t).

These things are generally pretty cost neutral at the start. Anything above a share price of 292p today is an improvement. I might be misunderstanding it but I think the whole Rights Issue thing really just allows you to amplify your gains if the SP goes up over time but it also works the other way of course. I think TUI has legs so will be taking it up.

I would wait until COP26 is over before betting on travel, they are going to have to come up with something fairly drastic to avert catastrophic climate change and people swanning around in jets needlessly is a pretty easy hit, on the other hand if they don’t we are all fvcked and we might as well enjoy ourselves while we can.

I would wait until COP26 is over before betting on travel, they are going to have to come up with something fairly drastic to avert catastrophic climate change and people swanning around in jets needlessly is a pretty easy hit, on the other hand if they don’t we are all fvcked and we might as well enjoy ourselves while we can.

The problem is, govts everywhere put the economy over everything else, certainly climate change. It might cost more to fly (and raise more green levy taxation etc for the govt) but I think people will cough up, they’re desperate to get away.

Aviation represents about 8% of 'final oil consumption' according to a very quick google. So even halving it is not going to save the planet.
Airlines and tourism already on their knees. A large part of many economies.
May be 'an easy hit' to you. Not to millions of others.

Aviation represents about 8% of 'final oil consumption' according to a very quick google. So even halving it is not going to save the planet.

Quite. Appreciate it’s a question of marginal benefits but nobody will want their livelihood impacted in a quest to save the planet, it’s down to someone else to do that.

Business travel drops will be used as an excuse to offset holiday travel. Stopping the electorate getting burnt like lobsters in Lanzarote is an election loser

The problem is, govts everywhere put the economy over everything else, certainly climate change. It might cost more to fly (and raise more green levy taxation etc for the govt) but I think people will cough up, they’re desperate to get away.

Climate change is affecting the economy and will affect it a lot more if there is not a change of direction. I cannot understand why people think that somehow the economy is something distinct from the environment, if you don’t have an equitable environment you don’t have an economy.

Climate change is affecting the economy and will affect it a lot more if there is not a change of direction. I cannot understand why people think that somehow the economy is something distinct from the environment, if you don’t have an equitable environment you don’t have an economy.

Agreed but restrictions will have to be thought out and applied fairly. Not 'easy hits'.
AFAIK Germany is the most advanced environment conscious large economy so most countries could do a lot worse than just copy what they do.

My news feed is awash with Inflation... Stagflation...Early interest Rates Rise... news stories.

I could have sworn only a few months back the Bank of England etc were saying..."Nothing to worry about...Carry on"

And these clowns think they can "control" an economy...maybe they should research "emergent systems" a bit more.

If we all do things which are good for the environment i.e. stop flying, stop driving, get rid of HGV’s, shipping, maybe even data centres, stop breeding too much, stop buying crap we don’t need etc etc, what do think will happen to the economy?

If we all do things which are good for the environment i.e. stop flying, stop driving, get rid of HGV’s, shipping, maybe even data centres, stop breeding too much, stop buying crap we don’t need etc etc, what do think will happen to the economy?

You are still putting “the economy” above all else, “the economy” is the cause of global warming, it’s if you like an externality cost, either “the economy” adapts to the externality cost of global warming or its not fit for purpose.

Before COVID, airlines were predicting a huge increase in flights, so that 8% would have grown to 10-15%. Some of the extra won't happen now as some destinations like the Maldives sink beneath the waves. Palma de Mallorca airport is only 27 ft above sea level, so threatened

You are still putting “the economy” above all else, “the economy” is the cause of global warming, it’s if you like an externality cost, either “the economy” adapts to the externality cost of global warming or its not fit for purpose.

Human beings are bad for the environment. The impact of a consumption based economy is catastrophic. Yet we have more and more people, want to keep them alive for as long as possible whist consuming as much as possible. That model is very much not fit for purpose in terms of the environment.

Simple questions/comments; quite apart from the impending 'perfect (but not in the sense of 'ideal') storm', what are aquatic soothsayers predicting, considering:

Interest rates will, surely, HAVE to rise as rising inflation is unlikely to be a blip for a year, if ever.
Stock markets don't like higher interest rates, understandably, so will this prompt a correction (at least)?
After rapidly rising property prices which may now plateau since the ending of the S/D holiday, will the paucity of stock prevent a slump in this asset class?
Increased energy, food and other costs will, i.m.o., slow consumption over a wide purchasing area, with negative consequential effects on business. Add the logistical situation and the treasury deficit to the mix, and sunny uplands seem to be a figment of Mystic Meg's imagination.

Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic here, heading into winter with both medical and economic cumulous clouds gathering; maybe I read too much, but what is the general feeling here of the near/medium term future domestically? Globally doesn't look too chipper either !

Before COVID, airlines were predicting a huge increase in flights, so that 8% would have grown to 10-15%. Some of the extra won't happen now as some destinations like the Maldives sink beneath the waves. Palma de Mallorca airport is only 27 ft above sea level, so threatened

That assumption ignores the fact that new planes are much more efficient than the old ones. I wouldn't worry about Mallorca airport being only 8m above sea level: there will be tens, if not hundreds, of millions of people looking for another home before then.
When everyone stops having more than 2 children and votes for Green parties there is a chance.

Last edited:
Stock markets don't like higher interest rates, understandably, so will this prompt a correction (at least)?
Safety shares industries like food and soap powder will simply raise prices as inflation hits and make bigger profits in devalued pounds, the result is inflated share prices.

That assumption ignores the fact that new planes are much more efficient than the old ones. I wouldn't worry about Mallorca airport being only 8m above sea level: there will be tens, if not hundreds, of millions of people looking for another home before then.
When everyone stops having more than 2 children and votes for Green parties there is a chance.
The new planes aren't that much more efficient. The low hanging fruit of high bypass engines and twin engines across water happened long ago.

With billions, not millions of people seeking higher ground or habitable climate, space for relocating airports will be at a premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back