advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of red.

have been watching JMG and FEET that you mentioned..looking an entry point as I agree about them as long term bets...it was too hot when I looked earlier in the year. I'm slowly moving to funds

They are bearing up OK (currently…). Think they are good long term holds.

My only occasional flash of green this morning is BT. I know I’m bearish on the US but SMT falling within range (36% US). All depends on how the US reacts this afternoon.

Jeez....I have a feeling tulips might get forgotten in short order, and instead they'll be remembering NFTs...

...if there's anyone left to remember..

LOL!!

My company is a manufacturer, we buy plastics, aluminium and steel, and some PCBs and electric motors etc. We are seeing rapidly increasing supply issues (delays and late deliveries) in most areas, and it looks like raw material prices are going off the scale (e.g plastics 30+ % year on year)....I'm sure it's not just us..
Get ready..

LOL!!

My company is a manufacturer, we buy plastics, aluminium and steel, and some PCBs and electric motors etc. We are seeing rapidly increasing supply issues (delays and late deliveries) in most areas, and it looks like raw material prices are going off the scale (e.g plastics 30+ % year on year)....I'm sure it's not just us..
Get ready..

Input costs are going through the roof. We now have inflation fears (IR rises) putting downward pressure on stock prices. How do you keep up with this inflation?! Cash might not yet be trash…

Input costs are going through the roof. We now have inflation fears (IR rises) putting downward pressure on stock prices. How do you keep up with this inflation?! Cash might not yet be trash…

I'm still glad about 70% of my pension is in property bought around the 2011/12 dump!!

Surely the Gold/Silver play has some merit? The tie between inflation and Gold isn't all that predictable though. It's why I'm in silver too. About 10% of my pension is bet on it.

**** knows about the rest of the stuff I hold (i.e. stocks). They are about 20% of my pension so not too worried ...

LOL!!

Get ready..

I'm intigued how Governments are going to try and fudge the inflation numbers when every dog in the street can see it's through the roof in real terms.

I'm still glad about 75% of my pension is in property bought around the 2011/12 dump!!

Surely the Gold/Silver play has some merit? The tie between inflation and Gold isn't all that predictable though. It's why I'm in silver too.

**** knows about the rest of the stuff I hold (i.e. stocks). They are about 15% of my pension so not too worried ...

When IR’s increase, all asset prices will fall, property included. That’s when a vulture fund will be useful!

Hmmm....so what's the best way to short everything....with security that you won't lose the lot through banks/trading platforms etc..?

andyoz...I'm afraid I take the view that UK property is massively overvalued - an asset bubble if ever there was one - due to years of govt 'interference'. Worse than Oz IMHO. So not convinced that it will escape a hiding. Though at least it's tangible and not in some online account somewhere that could just disappear...
Burying bullion in the garden appears increasingly attractive ..;)

^^ best thing to do first is get rid of debt, however tempting cheap money is. Whatever happens you won’t be in a forced sale position. After that, all you can really do is diversify. I do think the East will rise and the West decline.

There's mileage for the idea that this inflation trend is going to be temporary spike due to pent-up demand. Once that has been satisfied then the potential reality of businesses decimated by Covid could come to the fore. But no-one truly knows yet.

There's mileage for the idea that this inflation trend is going to be temporary spike due to pent-up demand. Once that has been satisfied then the potential reality of businesses decimated by Covid could come to the fore. But no-one truly knows yet.

It’s a car crash. Take housing, it’s soon going to reach the point where it’s economically unviable to build / develop in much of the UK!

It’s a car crash. Take housing, it’s soon going to reach the point where it’s economically unviable to build / develop in much of the UK!

Sorry I was referring to the goods market where a modicum of economic rationality still holds true - I just don't understand the property market (or crypto)!

Surely it can't be temporary - the amount of extra cash slopping around now means it will be a serious long term issue.
Short term there may be an even bigger overshoot due to pent up demand, which in turn may see similar overshoots in interest rates etc.
Looks like a hurricane inbound to me..

Bullion it is then...;)

Surely it can't be temporary - the amount of extra cash slopping around now means it will be a serious long term issue.
Short term there may be an even bigger overshoot due to pent up demand, which in turn may see similar overshoots in interest rates etc.

Bullion it is then...;)

Can you imagine if the ‘emergency rates’ we’ve had for 12 years increased to 5% (which is low in historic terms). Millions of people would be wiped out, let alone the govt.

Bullion it is then...;)

Well nobody knows,.....I was just on FT.com and a similar debate is raging there. My opinion, and I'm not the only one, is that the demand tide will go out say, by Q4 in US and UK, and a lot of companies will be swimming naked - that will put further dampeners on demand.

When IR’s increase, all asset prices will fall, property included. That’s when a vulture fund will be useful!

But will the rents??
With property it's about holding them for decades for the rental yields and capital gains are secondary.
It's why I bought them in the last massive dip (I still recall the sharp intake of breath when people found out I was buying property...are you mad!!)

There's nearly a decade of rents as the buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back