advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ I don't know enough about SMT to know what's going on.

TSLA is a different story...shit show central...

^^ SMT (now 11.5% down today) is Baillie Gifford’s flagship investment trust. Predominantly tech focussed, it’s consistently performed very, very well. It’s largest holding is....TSLA. I hold a bit. To be honest if it drops much more I’ll increase my stake a little as a long term hold but I’m more comfortable with PCT.

^^ SMT (now 11.5% down today) is Baillie Gifford’s flagship investment trust. Predominantly tech focussed, it’s consistently performed very, very well. It’s largest holding is....TSLA. I hold a bit. To be honest if it drops much more I’ll increase my stake a little as a long term hold but I’m more comfortable with PCT.

Largest holding is TSLA...that's all I need to know about that Trust then...

It was always going to pull back as some point. I guess if you have doubled your money over the last 12 months with these BG trusts/funds then it is not sooo bad.

Largest holding is TSLA...that's all I need to know about that Trust then...

see post above. you have missed out badly if you don't hold any Baillie Gifford. I notice SMT has grown 410% over 5 years, so a pullback like we are having now it is not such an issue... it is the latecomers to the party who might get stung a bit.

It was always going to pull back as some point. I guess if you have doubled your money over the last 12 months with these BG trusts/funds then it is not sooo bad.

Indeed. If TSLA etc tank again this afternoon, I might top up on SMT. That’s why I like trusts, you decide your buy / sell price rather than the fund manager.

Indeed. If TSLA etc tank again this afternoon, I might top up on SMT. That’s why I like trusts, you decide your buy / sell price rather than the fund manager.

Just beware of the spread when you try and sell. probably OK with well known trusts like SMT, but with less well known ones, you can get stung.

see post above. you have missed out badly if you don't hold any Baillie Gifford. I notice SMT has grown 410% over 5 years, so a pullback like we are having now it is not such an issue... it is the latecomers to the party who might get stung a bit.

I know but property doesn't dump 10-20% in a day so not too worried.

I was a latecomer when I looked SMT when it was mentioned here and it looked toppy to me.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good managed stock ISA? I don’t want to get involved with managing/buying/selling etc, so something simple and ideally not too UK-centric. I’ve already got some savings in a managed building society account which is split across various Fidelity products, and I’ve been very happy with that so far, it has done way better than cash. I’d just like something similar elsewhere to park a bit more money and spread-bet a little. Any pointers?

Anyone got any recommendations for a good managed stock ISA? I don’t want to get involved with managing/buying/selling etc, so something simple and ideally not too UK-centric. I’ve already got some savings in a managed building society account which is split across various Fidelity products, and I’ve been very happy with that so far, it has done way better than cash. I’d just like something similar elsewhere to park a bit more money and spread-bet a little. Any pointers?

Do you mean a platform or the underlying investments, or both? I use HL as a platform, not cheapest but never had any issue. As for the actual underlying investments, all depends on your risk appetite and when you next want / need to see the capital again. If you want a fire and forget, the vanguard funds are low cost and probably hard to beat. Other suggestions to look at (managed funds rather than index trackers) would be offerings from Fundsmith, Lindsell Train and Baillie Gifford. Others would say buy TSLA and BTC!

ETA If you like the look of Lindsell Train UK equity, also consider Finsbury Growth and Income Trust (FGT). It’s very similar in make up and also run by Nick Train, but traded as a share rather than a fund, which in my view is better than a fund, where you have no control over the buy / sell strike price. The downside is you pay 0.5% stamp duty on buying, but this can be far less than being on the wrong end of an upward swing when buying into a fund.

Last edited:
It’s a tinderbox. An amazing story really, particularly when half of it has zero intrinsic value or assets.

TSLA just opened 10% down and BTC mini rally since midday is turning to dust...

So any institutional investor that hasn't taken profits might be wondering about explaining that to their clients.

Elon Musk no longer world’s richest person as Tesla shares fall

Tesla is only 10% of SMT so even if Tesla were to go out of business tomorrow SMT net asset value would only decrease by 10%. I expect the fall is due to 3 things - a strong pound, anti-Tesla sentiment, and associated with that a widening if the discount.

TSLA dropping like a stone.

I guess it's P/E is only what 1000 now...still 30x that of Apple (and Apple SP sure is looking funky ATM)!!

Last edited:
TSLA dropping like a stone.

I guess it's P/E is only what 1000 now!!

Hopefully we’ll see some rotation into the proper companies that make decent profits. It’s great to see TSLA being dumped (although I own it indirectly), hopefully the whole tech sector will be oversold and can accumulate the decent stuff at lower prices.

TSLA SP seems to have found some temporary support but I just hope investors really look at the fundamentals here and not the FOMO.

As I said a week ago...what exactly has changed in that company compared to two years ago for it to 10x? Surely it's not the recent 'profits' that have been shown to be driven by Regulatory Credits that are a dying revenue source. All I see compared to 2 years ago is a shed load more realistic competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back