advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you concerned about the CW's debt?

Not really. Plenty of other companies in debt to their eyeballs but at least with CW I can see they will be able to service it. It appears to be the new normal and the cost of servicing that debt isn't likely to skyrocket anytime soon.

All the talk about streaming being the death of cinema is overblown. Hollywood needs the cinema part of distribution to stay alive. It's why stuff like this is happening...Hollywood will buy cinema stocks even if others buyers are spooked.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/07/movie-theater-operators-rise-on-court-ruling-that.aspx

It's a volatile stock but that's exactly what I'm into ATM. I just don't think many shorters realise the power cinema operators have over their landlords. I can see their rents dropping in the future and that's one of cinemas biggest costs. It's not like a landlord has a queue of high street shops ready to move into the cinema shell (which costs a bomb to dismantle).

Cineworld off to the races now. The third most Shorted stock a matter of weeks ago?

I could never understand that...there were much better targets for that risky business...the business had solid funding to last 12 months even if the cinemas didn't open!

If streaming was to be the death of cinema then why did Netflix want to buy one of the bigger cinema chains?
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...tflix-looked-bid-buy-2-4bn-Regal-Cinemas.html

Last edited:
I get the feeling of a major correction in the US markets within next 5 weeks, the disconnect between Main St real economy and Wall St markets is getting unsustainable. I'm guessing Nasdaq down below 9500 and S&P500 down below 2800. Impact on RoW depends on which markets have followed a similar sky-rocketing trend. I'm still mostly in cash. Situation is still not investible to me, even though some UK companies dipped into my long term "buy zone" last week. Euro & GBP are both up versus USD and have been looking at specific Canadian gold mining companies as a potential investment in case the money printing frenzy takes its toll on the dollar.

Definitely need to at least be taking some profits as you go. I've been chipping away since March. Now sold 50% of my gold and 65% of Silver (for now) and have been taking 10 to 20% profits on other stuff since March.

Can then get more 'risky' with some of those profits...like I did buying WTE Westmount Energy as suggested by someone last week on whim...

Definitely need to at least be taking some profits as you go. I've been chipping away since March. Now sold out of 50% of gold and 65% of Silver (for now)

Can then get more 'risky' with some of those profits...

Yeah, I kind of not into that. I have a longer term outlook and have an investment strategy into specific companies and funds which I have thought about and studied for a while, and I'm sticking to that (to avoid distractions). Target is to be minimum 1.5 and ideally at least 2 times my current asset base by 2023.......assuming that there are no more major shocks like a Brexit, a Covid or a China-US war around the corner.

There's some excellent commentators out there. Most of the Mainstream Media ones are full of s**t though! When they latch onto something I normally Sell.

There are also some excellent and informative comments below FT.com articles as well. However the Trump acolytes appear increasing en masse these days (funded by Putin no doubt) and diluting the richness of thought.

Well the naysayers (myself included) have been wrong to date as far as the Tesla price goes. It jumped a further fair few percent today when they announced a 1 for 5 exchange bring the price into realms of even more robinhooders who are able to still collect government handouts.

HOWEVER....I work in the automotive/energy sector and all EU, US, Japanese and Chinese OEMs, major Tier One suppliers (Bosch, Mahle, Conti, Hitachi, Denso, Magneti, Valeo, Delphi etc) and major "petrol" forecourt providers (bp, Shell etc) are preparing for the electrification onslaught, so I really do think Tesla will struggle in that situation as their USPs become diluted in the next 5 years. That's assuming they survive the potential financial scandals....one of which I alluded to earlier in this thread.

^^^ The other established car makers are ready to bounce when we are ready to buy en masse....and they actually know how to make an interior that looks like it belongs in a £80k car..

I still highly rate this guys work and his interviews. He was calling this whole Covid effect very, very early on.

Last edited:
I'm already seeing signs that my clients are dragging their heels on payment...just the early chinks in the armor.

This autumn/winter is going the be VERY interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back