advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3. Yes V3

Martyn,

Definitely want to hear your impressions of the V3s. I had the V2s briefly some years back. I quite liked them, and thought they handled the high frequencies particularly well, with great delicacy and sweetness when called for.

At the time, I thought my Harbeth outdid them in overall impact, but wish I’d kept the V2s anyway. Thought I needed the proceeds for something else at the time.

So, I’d love to hear how the V3s compare...

I see a pair of V1’s for sale on Audiogon. The seller says “Even the designer says he prefers it over the V2 version, which uses different replacement drivers since the original are no longer available.”

Any truth to that? Thanks!

What is truth when it comes to speakers ?
All the LS3/5as I’ve owned sounded slightly different.
Yes, even the ones which had Kef drive units.

To me, it’s about musical communication.
The Stirling V2s has that ( in spades ) and so do the Falcon LS3/5as.

One of the problems ( if it is a problem...) is that many want what they call ‘The Real Thing’,
hence the success of the new Rogers Classic ‘3/5a and the aforementioned Falcon Acoustics model.

Whether this is driven by the ( slightly obsessive ) Far East collectors, I don’t know.
They do seem to ‘snap up’ old LS3/5as and also buy any new version that comes out.

I love the LS3/5a in all its forms and enjoy helping others along the path.
The bottom line for me is sitting down and listening to music through them.

I was playing Vaughan Williams’ Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis recently, using the
LS3/5as I have with the Rogers 60th Anniversary baffles in the Harbeth cabinets.
It was sublime and the music really touched me.
That’s what its all about for me...

[QUOTE="Martyn Miles...
The V3s are arriving during the first week in January.
Something to really look forward to...[/QUOTE]

Good news Martyn. Look forward to your findings. Any word on wider distribution in the UK (if we can still call it that), or North America?

I saw their pics of the new xo. Couldn’t tell if the pic was the old and new versions next to each other- any thoughts? Monster air cored inductors!

The pics. Doug sent me a while ago were of the new crossover with the massive air-cored inductors.
I recall him telling me they just fitted in the rear of the cabinet.

I speak as a fan of the Ls3 and variants thereof and have owned many. But I feel the price asked new for all the main brands is now no longer justified. It's just too high for what is a small box. Killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

I speak as a fan of the Ls3 and variants thereof and have owned many. But I feel the price asked new for all the main brands is now no longer justified. It's just too high for what is a small box. Killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Falcon Acoustics made 50 special ‘Kingswood Warren’ LS3/5as ( at £6495 a pair ) and Jerry Bloomfield told me
they were all sold before completion.
Mind you, most of them went to the Far East Obsessives who will buy any new ( or very old ) LS3/5as.

I’m not sure the new ones are overpriced. There isn’t the economies of scale you get with knocking out
hundreds of thousands of Chinese boxes.

advertisement

Back