advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3. Yes V3

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
The well-known Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 is now moving to V3. The difference is in the crossovers. They are ULD, ultra low distortion, with very large inductors fitted.
The crossovers just fit into the speaker cabinets, from the pictures I have seen.
I understand results are outstanding.
That should put the cat amongst the LS3/5a pigeons...

The well-known Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 is now moving to V3. [...]. That should put the cat amongst the LS3/5a pigeons...
Is this speaker considered to be desirable in the same way as examples of the original LS3/5a by enthusiasts? It uses drivers with a higher technical performance and so would seem unlikely to be able to reproduce the "warts and all" sound of the original LS3/5a.

Now there’s a controversial question.

In my opinion the Stirling Broadcast models are LS3/5as.
I have heard models with the Kef drivers ( including the Falcons ) so I know their sound well.
The Stirling V2 does the same job as the Audiomasters, Harbeths & Falcons I’ve owned.
I know it does. I have listened to a pair in my front room.

Doug Stirling and Derek Hughes know their stuff.
So do Jerry Bloomfield and Malcolm Jones of Falcon.
Falcon have reproduced the LS3/5a exactly to the original BBC spec.
Stirling have engineered their V2 to sound like a ‘3/5a.

The ‘LS3/5a Purists’ will only accept the models with Kef drivers.
The fact they may be out of spec. appears to pass them by...

The Far East LS3/5a Obsessives seem to want speakers which are old or rare.
Or both.
I’m not sure they’re concerned about sound quality, just collectibility.

For better or worse that’s the way I see it.

The important thing about LS3/5as is that they were produced to a tight BBC specification, so that any LS3/5a could be replaced by another, as all speakers produced had to conform to the tight BBC spec. That's why many T27 and B110 units were rejected for the LS3/5a and used in other KEF speakers.

Although the Stirling V2 does not use the same drive units, it is licensed by the BBC, as its conforms to the BBC specification (probably better than many 30 year old original LS3/5as with old drivers and crossovers).

Doug Stirling has told me that many LS3/5as they get in for repairs are out of spec.
I laugh to myself when I see some LS3/5a Obsessive pay thousands for a pair of Chartwells that must
be well of out spec.
Doesn’t matter, I suppose, as they’re probably added to the dozen or so pairs he already has.
Not to be listened to but revered.

Although the Stirling V2 does not use the same drive units, it is licensed by the BBC, as its conforms to the BBC specification (probably better than many 30 year old original LS3/5as with old drivers and crossovers).
Does it conform to a spec? I was under the impression, probably from things said here, that there is no reference or testing taking place these days and a manufacturer pays the BBC some money to use the name (but not the logo) in support of their marketing and can build whatever they like. Of course for the marketing to work there will need to be hooks back to the original but there is no requirement to sound like the original although from the few measurements I have seen in the likes of stereophile most do seem to seek to reproduce much of the voicing (I won't call it colouration this time!) of the original.

The well-known Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 is now moving to V3. The difference is in the crossovers. They are ULD, ultra low distortion, with very large inductors fitted.
The crossovers just fit into the speaker cabinets, from the pictures I have seen.
I understand results are outstanding.
That should put the cat amongst the LS3/5a pigeons...

Martyn - Any word on on timing of release, pricing? I liked the V2 well enough, one of those 'should've held on to them' experiences...

Martyn - Any word on on timing of release, pricing? I liked the V2 well enough, one of those 'should've held on to them' experiences...

Doug Stirling told me they’re carrying on with the V2 for approx. a year.
He also said Paul Whatton will be organising an LS3/5a ‘Shootout’ in the Surrey/
Surrey area at some point.
I believe Paul was involved in the June 2000 Hi-Fi News LS3/5a Shootout, with Ken Kessler.

Stirling believe their V3 sounds better than any other LS3/5a, including the Cicable versions.
This is going to be fascinating...

Does it conform to a spec? I was under the impression, probably from things said here, that there is no reference or testing taking place these days and a manufacturer pays the BBC some money to use the name (but not the logo) in support of their marketing and can build whatever they like. Of course for the marketing to work there will need to be hooks back to the original but there is no requirement to sound like the original although from the few measurements I have seen in the likes of stereophile most do seem to seek to reproduce much of the voicing (I won't call it colouration this time!) of the original.

Yes that is how it's been for the last 20 years.

So do Falcon hold the only true BBC Licence, as their LS3/5a conforms exactly to the BBC specification.
What true license? Falcon have presumably paid their money to the BBC like others to use the name but it doesn't look like there is anything more these days. They have opted to manufacture a "warts and all" close copy rather than one using better performing modern drivers and following the "spirit of the LS3/5a" but that is their decision not the BBCs.

Perhaps an obvious question: what does the BBC use in their outside broadcast vans these days?

Do they have Outside Broadcast vans these days ?
The last time I was at an outside broadcast ( Any Questions ) they were using a massive vehicle, very
different from the vans of my youth.
Mind you, it would be interesting to know exactly what speakers they do use.

Do they have Outside Broadcast vans these days ?
The last time I was at an outside broadcast ( Any Questions ) they were using a massive vehicle, very
different from the vans of my youth.
Mind you, it would be interesting to know exactly what speakers they do use.

Last time I was in one, it was Genelecs too. You may be surprised to know that some OB trucks had LS5/8's with trapezoidal cabinets.

What true license? Falcon have presumably paid their money to the BBC like others to use the name but it doesn't look like there is anything more these days. They have opted to manufacture a "warts and all" close copy rather than one using better performing modern drivers and following the "spirit of the LS3/5a" but that is their decision not the BBCs.

The last 'true' licencing process ended when Rogers closed in the late 90's. Everything since has been commercial licencing. All you need to do is pay the dosh and not bring the BBC name into disrepute by selling poor product. No technical/ quality checks, no royalty scheme. Beeb simply do not have anyone to offer any technical advice on old products and that is made clear in the T&C's

There's no doubt that the current products are excellent speakers but...

Yes, they are in universal use these days. I recently had a tour of Radio Berkshire. One pair of Rogers LS3/5a, everything else Genelecs.

So how good are Genelecs ?
I suppose they must be good, or the BBC wouldn’t use them.

I recall the BBC also used Harbeth 20 monitors in place of the ‘3/5a.

So how good are Genelecs ?
I suppose they must be good, or the BBC wouldn’t use them.
They are by definition better then the LS3/5a at doing the job or else the incumbent wouldn't have been replaced. They are good value for money (extremely by audiophile standards), active, controlled directivity, what looks to be an excellent cast cabinet (evidence anyone?), widely used and available, neutral(ish - to the extent a speaker that is too small can be), etc... but this is all to do with technical performance, maintenance, cost,... which is largely irrelevant when it comes to the LS3/5a today. Perhaps more relevant is do people that are sufficiently enthusiastic about the LS3/5a to pay today's asking prices like them? My expectation would be largely no because they are quite different speakers aimed at quite different sectors of the market.

advertisement

Back