advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

Art dudley (rip) of stereophile reviewed the rogers ls3/5a shortly before his demise.

though he didn't had the same amplifier (naim nait) as when he tested the graham and falcon ls3/5a, he uses the naim xs3 for the rogers ls3/5a and generally find the rogers ls3/5a the best of the bunch, even if it is by a slight bit and with different amp and stands.

sadly, he wouldn't have the chance to compare it with the stirling ls3/5a now.

To ( sort of ) revive this thread, I was recently in touch with Doug Stirling re. amplifiers.
He recommended the Marantz PM6004 to use with the V3s.
Fortunately one became available via PFM, so I took a chance.

The Quad 34/303 was good.
The Arcam Delta 60 was excellent.
The PM6004 is superb !

More detail, a bigger soundstage and slightly better definition in the bass.
The extra detail doesn’t come with extra brightness, which can sometimes be the case.

I haven’t yet tried the Marantz with my Spendor BC1s.
I’ve got that to look forward to...

Have not heard the PM6004, but did have a listen to the somewhat newer PM6006 about a year ago. Good amp, and great VFM!

I wonder why Doug has not recommended any "higher end" amps to drive the LS3/5a, either valve (tube) amps or solid state ones...

I wonder why Doug has not recommended any "higher end" amps to drive the LS3/5a, either valve (tube) amps or solid state ones...

Maybe he’s just a bit more on the objectivist side of things? After all, the BBC didn’t use the LS3/5a with fancy amps and still got the results they needed.

Doug uses Audion 300B amps. at the factory, but they are six times the cost of the Marantz.
He told me the ‘6004 is very good value with a neutral sound.

Last edited:
To ( sort of ) revive this thread, I was recently in touch with Doug Stirling re. amplifiers.
He recommended the Marantz PM6004 to use with the V3s.
Fortunately one became available via PFM, so I took a chance.

The Quad 34/303 was good.
The Arcam Delta 60 was excellent.
The PM6004 is superb !

More detail, a bigger soundstage and slightly better definition in the bass.
The extra detail doesn’t come with extra brightness, which can sometimes be the case.

I haven’t yet tried the Marantz with my Spendor BC1s.
I’ve got that to look forward to...

I've got a Marantz PM8200 in a box - excellent amp - neutral detailed with excellent soundstage (recently saw off a Marantz PM KI Ruby in a A-B comparison)

Must try it soon with my Stirling LS3/5a V2's ! Should be a good match

I tried Doug's LS3/5a V2 and MS88 with a variety of amps. Mostly cheap! Two reasonable price recommendations he gave at the time were the original Audiolab 8000a and Creek 4040.

I used a valve Apollon Apache el34 for a while, 30 watts a side. Very nice especially with vocals, but overall I'll admit a preference to the convenience of solid state especially Quad. In fact I choose a 303 mostly or 405 driven by a Quad pre.
Reason, ease with classical music. You can listen all day without fatigue. You can get more revealing amps sure, but they show up everything warts 'n all and I soon want to switch off.

For a more dynamic listen, an Armstrong 621 or 626, a sleeper, try one out on a good drum solo with ls3s..YMMV.

I tried Doug's LS3/5a V2 and MS88 with a variety of amps. Mostly cheap! Two reasonable price recommendations he gave at the time were the original Audiolab 8000a and Creek 4040.

I used a valve Apollon Apache el34 for a while, 30 watts a side. Very nice especially with vocals, but overall I'll admit a preference to the convenience of solid state especially Quad. In fact I choose a 303 mostly or 405 driven by a Quad pre.
Reason, ease with classical music. You can listen all day without fatigue. You can get more revealing amps sure, but they show up everything warts 'n all and I soon want to switch off.

For a more dynamic listen, an Armstrong 621 or 626, a sleeper, try one out on a good drum solo with ls3s..YMMV.

Interesting, I’ve gravitated towards a (fully overhauled) Quad 34/3O3 combo in recent weeks and have found the same - I’ve also got a 33 on it’s way to try out. Just sounds great through my Harbeth M30.1 speakers with Classical, Jazz and vocals via my vinyl or digital sources. I’m looking to add a pair of LS3/5a as soon as I see a pair of the Falcons or Rogers classics appear.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard the new Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge speakers? I plan to audition them when things open up here in California.

Nice review on The ear.net:

"I have been very happy for two years and never wanted for another small monitor in my 12sqm room, but I could not resist the FL6/23 Gold Badge crossover upgrade. After installing them, the bass became tighter, the midrange, which has always been the strongpoint, opened up further, while the highest notes are clearer and at the same time a little softer than before."

The reviewer, René van Es, wrote an extremely favorable review a few years ago of the Stirling LS3/5a V2.

I'm not convinced that speakers 'break in' to any great extent.
I adjusted to them, in that they were 'brighter' than the Harbeth 'ESRs.
The amount of detail and the holographic imaging was the biggest change, needing adjustment on my part.
Now I've owned them for six months, recordings I haven't listened to for some time aren't quite such a shock.
I hope the above helps...

'm not convinced that speakers 'break in' to any great extent.
I adjusted to them, in that they were 'brighter' than the Harbeth 'ESRs.
Well, your comments are helpful. I don't remember any significant 'break-in' when I purchased a new pair of V2s in the past.

I have to confess: I purchased a new pair of V3s. (online ordering from the UK is so easy and quick). I'm still in the early stages of listening, but I am once again struck by how detailed and nuanced the midband is. Timbral fidelity is also unparalleled in my experience. I think the original designers got that right in their research at the BBC. They have bass too! I treated my room since I last owned ls3/5a and the bass boom is no longer any kind of issue....I can place them pretty much anywhere. They are brighter than the V2s in an excellent and lively way. The changes to the bass response too, are very welcome. They can hold their own in my listening room. The bass is still modest but it is classy and convincing. Imaging is superb. I'm running them with a beefy ss amp and it seems like a good idea, with 83 dB sensitivity. But, the biggest surprise so far is that they can rock hard. They play all my music genres. That was not the case with the V2s, at least in my space. They have some of the dynamic tightness of the Linn Kan IIs I also possess. Rock music, Zeppelin, King Crimson not only work, they work well. I'm very pleased with the purchase, and thanks Martyn, for your previous comments and review, which led me here. Cheers.

With the V3, I should clarify that the highest frequencies are better described as 'resolved' and pure, rather than 'bright', which is a too generalized description and not very useful here. I'm loving them.

Thanks ‘ampedup’ for you comment on bright.
I couldn’t think of the correct term, hence the apostrophes.
Resolved and pure perfectly describes the response.

Like you, I’m loving them and continued to be surprised what they can do.
For instance, last night I played a favourite record from the late ‘60s and
there I was back in 1968.

Last edited:
^ Stirling should be paying you a commission Martyn and I say that with all respect that your opinion is honest.
Strange that Stirling seem to have only a handful of dealers in the UK.

Like you, I’m loving them and continued to be surprised what they can do.
Me too. I normally have a handful of 'test' tracks that I use to get a quick perception of a new component's qualities. This time, I listened to the test track and in every case, was compelled to listen to the whole album. The speakers have a keen grip on my ears.

advertisement

Back