advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

The Harbeths are up for sale. These Stirlings must be something else!

I have some Spendor S3/5R2s coming next week Martyn. Have you ever heard a pair? A poor man’s Harbeth as I call them (no disrespect to Spendor).

Enjoy.

Yes, I owned a pair of S3/5R2s for a while and really liked them.

A little ‘bass light’ I thought, but not excessively so.
The mids. were very good indeed.
My test CD of Mary Black Songs sounded lovely.

I’ve always has a soft spot for Spendors, being a long term BC1 owner.

Yes, the Stirling V3s are exceptionally good.

Last edited:
...Further listening confirmed what I first thought, that the bass was tighter and subjectively deeper
than any ‘3/5a I have heard.
Leonard Cohen’s ‘Old Ideas’ was a good test.
Yes, the bass end is superb.

The midrange ?
LS3/5a without question.
If you’re a ‘3/5a fan you’ll understand.
The mid. moves seamlessly into the top end, which is detailed but so smooth.

I almost forgot, a piano sounds like. A piano.
As for the soundstage and depth, they are there in spades.

I almost know a question which will come up.
How do they compare with the Harbeth P3s ?
Slightly brighter, midrange more open and the bass tighter.
The bass end of the Harbeths is fuller and perhaps warmer.

So Martyn, does this capture the essence of your comparison of the V3s to the Harbs? Are you left with a clear preference? Whether you have a clear preference or not, anything more to say about why different folk might prefer one or the other, or the Falcons for that matter...?

So Martyn, does this capture the essence of your comparison of the V3s to the Harbs? Are you left with a clear preference? Whether you have a clear preference or not, anything more to say about why different folk might prefer one or the other, or the Falcons for that matter...?

Yes, this does capture the essence of my comparison. After much listening I do prefer the V3s, but not by a giant
amount. One real preference is the bass on the V3s.
It is better defined and subjectively deeper than the P3s
Bass is important to me. I used to play the bass guitar and always listen for the low end in music.
String bass just sounds beautiful on these Stirlings, as well as electric.
Don’t get me wrong, the P3s bass is good. No question.

The other main area of the V3s is imaging and the ‘space’ around the music. Yes, the Harbeths ( and Falcons ) have
it but the Stirlings are just that little bit better.
I would love to keep the Harbeths, to use in place of my BC1s from time to time, but really can’t afford to own
both.
Lastly, the Rosewood cabinets of the Stirlings are really beautiful...

Terrific, thanks Martyn for your insight. A service to humanity. Now, to see about ordering from across the pond...

Off topic, a little.
With all this concentration on the V3s I have been neglecting my BC1s, so I thought it was time to sit
down with them.
You’ll have picked up my admiration for the Unthanks from previous posts, so ‘Mount the Air’ was loaded
in the CD player.
It’s a different presentation to the Stirlings, but equally mesmerising.
The voices entangle themselves with the piano to bring out the meaning of the lyrics.
The brass cuts through the mix and the percussion is perfectly balanced.
Just like the V3s, you hear what the engineer was about with this recording.
If you’ve never heard a pair of BC1s, take the time to track some down.
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed...

These are BC1s of 1970s vintage, would that be right? I believe there are Stirling, Spendors, Grahams and Harbeths of similar dimension, is that not so? Can you comment on how the BC1s compare with any of these current descendants?

Hi,
I have tried many speakers, LS3/5A, Harbeth p3esr, but much prefere my Rogers Export Monitors,
similar to Bc1 but tighter bass, best speakers i have owned to date

Speaking of Rogers, I see the new incarnation, Rogers British High-Fidelity, is about to release an LS5/9, in addition to their modern version of 15 Ohm LS3/5a. I just saw that they have representation for sales in Canada for the LS3/5a. The Canadian price of $4700 is expensive, even compared to recent efforts from Falcon and Graham. If it is true that the Rogers are manufactured, at least in part, in China, it doesn’t look like any savings have been passed on to the consumer.

Back to the Stirling V3s, inspired by Martyn, I was able to order mine direct from Stirling Broadcast, shipped out this week, so hope to be able to report in a few weeks, allowing for time crossing the pond. If that works out, it will be fine service indeed.

These are BC1s of 1970s vintage, would that be right? I believe there are Stirling, Spendors, Grahams and Harbeths of similar dimension, is that not so? Can you comment on how the BC1s compare with any of these current descendants?

Yes, late 1970s BC1s.
The manufacturers you mention make models of similar dimensions to the Spendors.
As for the modern incarnations you mention, I have never heard any of them.
Knowing Stirling’s reputation, I am tempted by their interpretation of the BBC LS3/6.

Knowing Stirling’s reputation, I am tempted by their interpretation of the BBC LS3/6.

Similarly, I’d like to see Stirling try their hand at a smaller standmount, about the dimensions of my Kudos C10s, the Graham LS/6, and the Dynaudio Special 40. That size, across several manufacturers including JM Reynaud, fits my den nicely, visually and in terms of bass weight. I’d scrounge up a deposit for such a Stirling prototype...

Stirling’s SB88 could be described as a smaller standmount speaker.
It has many of the characteristics of the LS3/6.
I’d like to hear a pair in my home.

Panderos, I am curious what the cost to get the Stirlings over here(I am in the US)if you don't mind me asking-PM if you care to comment-or not-and that is okay too! Glad you are able to get a pair, will be curious of your findings!

Tim, see my PM.

Remarkably, UPS picked up the order from UK Tuesday last, and estimates delivery tomorrow, the 9th. The speakers are already stateside, working their way north to me. I’ve waited longer for orders from Toronto, nominally in the same country...

For comparison, I’ll have on hand my Harbeth P3ES-2s, about 10 years old (before the Radial Driver was put into the P3s), Reference 3a Dulcets, about the same height and width, but decidedly not BBC style, Kudos Cardea C10s, somewhat larger at about 14” x 8” x 10” and an older pair of Neat Elite III, dating back circa 2006...

Stirling’s SB88 could be described as a smaller standmount speaker.
It has many of the characteristics of the LS3/6.
I’d like to hear a pair in my home.

Quite. Similar proportions to the Harbeth C7 which I had for a year or two awhile back. I’d prefer something smaller still in my den, about 3 1/2 m by 5 1/2 m. The Kudos at just under 14” tall by 8” wide are just about right. I also had the Graham LS5/9 for a time - sounded beautiful, but as with the C7, somewhat more bass than I needed from a 7 1/2 foot listening distance in a room that size, although others make that format work in small spaces. Truth is, it is as much a matter of the visual impact for me - and for SWMBO. That admission could get me drummed out of the audiophile corps....

Panderos, thank you very much on your PM, strangely I am having difficulties replying to it, but that is okay. Good information and it will just stay that way. I was just really curious as some distributors are real deal killers. Good things are rolling your way quickly, hopefully no customs issues and you will have them soon. Will be interested in your thoughts in due time!

I also like the Ref. 3A Dulcets, yes a bit different from the classic BBC sound, but nice little monitors. I also like their bigger brother DaCapo as well. Have fun, again, thanks for your note, I appreciate you taking the time, food for thought later!

Yes, this does capture the essence of my comparison. After much listening I do prefer the V3s, but not by a giant
amount. One real preference is the bass on the V3s.
It is better defined and subjectively deeper than the P3s
Bass is important to me. I used to play the bass guitar and always listen for the low end in music.
String bass just sounds beautiful on these Stirlings, as well as electric.
Don’t get me wrong, the P3s bass is good. No question.

The other main area of the V3s is imaging and the ‘space’ around the music. Yes, the Harbeths ( and Falcons ) have
it but the Stirlings are just that little bit better.
I would love to keep the Harbeths, to use in place of my BC1s from time to time, but really can’t afford to own
both.
Lastly, the Rosewood cabinets of the Stirlings are really beautiful...

Hi Mr. Miles,

I have read many of your posts regarding LS3/5a speakers both here and in another forum. Thank you for your informative reviews. I was wondering what amplification you use?

Thank you!

Quad 303, with a '34 and a passive control unit.
A recently serviced Audiolab 8000A.
An Arcam Delta 60.
I've also used an original Arcam Alpha occasionally.

advertisement

Back