advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

im from the far east, and harbeth speakers have almost become 'investment grade' in my eyes. buy them and never lose money.

the p3esr i sold 2-3 years back for USD1200, is now USD1800. but i guess its the same everywhere. not sure the price hike is because of materials, or the demand from far east

I’m unsure it’s the same everywhere.

The Harbeth P3-ESR prices have remained pretty static here in the UK, very possibly due to
the XD model being released.

Demand from the East pushed up the cost of old LS3/5as, but that seems to be powered by collectors.
My experience of selling various makes of used English speakers to the Far East, is that it’s the little
BBC model that commands the highest prices.

The second hand market for the P3ESR has risen over the last 5 years. It used to be possible to pick them up for £900-£1000, but it’s more common to see them go for £1200-£1400 now. The RRP has risen over time too though.

I think with the XD range appearing with much higher prices, the standard non-anniversary P3 will continue to rise up to a point over the next couple of years.

That’s interesting.
I’d must admit I haven’t looked at P3 prices recently, not since I sold mine.
I wonder if they’re as popular in the Far East as new LS3/5as ?

Doug Stirling told me the Far East is his biggest market, and he released demo. V3s there first.
I understand nearly all Falcon Acoustics’ special edition models have gone to Far East customers.

I’ve sold some LS3/5as, as well as vintage Celestions, in the Far East.
I even sold a pair of unusual PWB speakers to someone in China.

@Martyn Miles

A few years ago Alan Shaw said most of his speakers are sold in the Far East and that the UK was not a big concern, hence Harbeth not going to Shows for many years until recently. It was the same when he took over the company from Dudley in 1986 - big sales in Japan back then and today.

@Martyn Miles

A few years ago Alan Shaw said most of his speakers are sold in the Far East and that the UK was not a big concern, hence Harbeth not going to Shows for many years until recently. It was the same when he took over the company from Dudley in 1986 - big sales in Japan back then and today.

unfortunately not much has changed for Harbeth in terms of model improvement and innovation over the these many years either - now even going downhill. I guess that’s part of relying on the same old story to sell.

unfortunately not much has changed for Harbeth in terms of model improvement and innovation over the these many years either - now even going downhill. I guess that’s part of relying on the same old story to sell.

Oh I don't know about that, they made their own cone compound and have gradually improved the crossover using CAD to straighten out the wrinkles. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just refine it.

Having said that, I'm listening to a speaker from Falcon that's essentially had no innovation for 45 years!

Oh I don't know about that, they made their own cone compound and have gradually improved the crossover using CAD to straighten out the wrinkles. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just refine it.

Having said that, I'm listening to a speaker from Falcon that's essentially had no innovation for 45 years!

they did introduce the Radial2 (together with Academia actually I believe), yes and some minor improvements may be leading to the last years..
well, I am listening to a pair of speakers from Sterling that have had some innovation :) and they are stunning. This was in direct comparison with the P3ESR 40th so may be the “ain’t broke” is no longer good enough? I did not feel even remotely curious to check the XD versions.

@EPear

I think we just have to say that it’s all a matter of taste, and there are plenty of great flavours out there. Speaking of which I’m off to the pub!

@EPear

I think we just have to say that it’s all a matter of taste, and there are plenty of great flavours out there. Speaking of which I’m off to the pub!
oh absolutely, and my point was about looking forward with who and what brings the improvements not to disrespect the legacy.
enjoy!

@EPear

Cheers!

rMnueRu.jpg

advertisement

Back