advertisement

Sticky sticky tape...

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Sending a pair of LS4a to Hong Kong and need some strong tape which is very sticky. Got some of the usual brown packing tape from Wilkinsons but it peels off....doh, still it was a pound a roll.

Could do with something stronger to hold the box closed in transit. Duct tape ?

...and in case you are wondering, they are large bubble wrapped, polystyrene buffered and double boxed.

I'd just go right round the box two or three times with the Wilkinsons stuff you've got. Once it's sticking to itself it'll probably be fine.

Thats what i do, infact something a bit substantial i use the whole roll on. Stuff the environment.

Duck tape, sticks like a sticky thing. For the extra few pence it's not worth risking it with cheap brown parcel tape.

I'd just go right round the box two or three times with the Wilkinsons stuff you've got. Once it's sticking to itself it'll probably be fine.

+1

I agree, the strength of the tape is more important than the tackiness of the adhesive. Cocoon the package and it'll be fine in my experience.

Normal parcel tape is fine. We use reels of it in food factories all over the UK and it works. As others have said, if you are in doubt go round twice in 2 different planes. Unless you really have bought a pup the stuff will be fine.

It's worth paying a little bit extra for better quality brown packing tape. I've two rolls of the stuff that look identical but one's pretty hopeless unless you wrap it round & round as others have suggested. The other sticks like a very sticky thing & is stronger to boot.

Sending a pair of LS4a to Hong Kong and need some strong tape which is very sticky. Got some of the usual brown packing tape from Wilkinsons but it peels off....doh, still it was a pound a roll.

Could do with something stronger to hold the box closed in transit. Duct tape ?

...and in case you are wondering, they are large bubble wrapped, polystyrene buffered and double boxed.

I got this from fleabay, sticks great, I personally would avoid duct/gaffer, it doesn't stick as we'll as this, and would add weight too.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=280319358507

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Run some pva wood glue in swirls on the bottom of the cardboard slats where they overlap, gives the packing tape a little extra help.

Parcel tape is fine as long as its applied with pressure evenly across its entire surface, ideally with a roller device. It's when it's just laid on without being pressed down that it comes off.

I usually find the 50p a roll pretty good but I have had a batch that would barely stick. I sell relatively cheap items and had the wide clear tape as a backup so it was no big deal. Since then I have had no problems with poundshop tape.

Theres definately different quality grades of brown packing tape. The stuff I used at work was thicker, tougher and more sticky.

advertisement

Back