advertisement

Stewing beef

Bought expensive steak

Bought expensive steak again

I bought expensive stewing steak.

do you know which cut of beef you are actually buying? does it come pre-packaged and diced?

whilst i havent used this butcher, they do have some nice descriptions of the various cuts

https://www.thedorsetmeatcompany.co.uk/2018/02/24/beef-cuts

we buy our beef, pork and lamb from here: https://www.farmison.com/beef/all (their bavette is brilliant) OR from here https://thegingerpig.co.uk/collections/beef?postcode=nationwide (last nights short ribs came from there)

The heavy tight lid means liquid loss is tiny. A loose lid and a simmer will reduce the stock so much it exposes the meat, and 5 hours like that?

With many modern ovens, not so. Energy efficiency reg's mean that they are pretty well sealed. I can cook stew for 2-3 hours in my oven with no lid and it will lose very little liquid - open the door and there is a huge cloud of steam which has filled the oven but not escaped.
Trying to intentionally reduce any liquid in the oven is almost impossible as a result.

The entire point of stews are that they are a way of making excellent meals from very cheap, sinnewy and tough cuts, and they are all that is needed (that said, cuts like shin are not fantastically cheap around here, as plenty of older people know all about it and it disappears quick from supermarket chill cabinets).

Morrison's are the place to shop around here - they seem to attract far more of the traditional and frugal cooks, so always have at least shin and flank early in the day - they also sell marrow bones, cut bones for stock and just pork rind for crackilng, these all at realtive peanut prices.

Morrison's are the place to shop around here - they seem to attract far more of the traditional and frugal cooks, so always have at least shin and flank early in the day - they also sell marrow bones, cut bones for stock and just pork rind for crackilng, these all at realtive peanut prices.

We buy our shin beef from Morrisons. Cheap as chips and perfect for a slow cooker casserole.

With many modern ovens, not so. Energy efficiency reg's mean that they are pretty well sealed. I can cook stew for 2-3 hours in my oven with no lid and it will lose very little liquid - open the door and there is a huge cloud of steam which has filled the oven but not escaped.
Trying to intentionally reduce any liquid in the oven is almost impossible as a result.

The entire point of stews are that they are a way of making excellent meals from very cheap, sinnewy and tough cuts, and they are all that is needed (that said, cuts like shin are not fantastically cheap around here, as plenty of older people know all about it and it disappears quick from supermarket chill cabinets).

sealed?
sorry it's still 1950 here, and Mrs me would prefer 1940 with a wood fired Aga.

do you know which cut of beef you are actually buying? does it come pre-packaged and diced?

whilst i havent used this butcher, they do have some nice descriptions of the various cuts

https://www.thedorsetmeatcompany.co.uk/2018/02/24/beef-cuts

we buy our beef, pork and lamb from here: https://www.farmison.com/beef/all (their bavette is brilliant) OR from here https://thegingerpig.co.uk/collections/beef?postcode=nationwide (last nights short ribs came from there)
It was diced.

Not literally, but close. I suspect that if I cooked anything and didn't check it from start to finish, I'd need no extract in the kitchen as so little steam is lost. I also suspect that little ventilation/high steam levels is one of the reasons that getting crispy crackling and roasties is a challenge.
My cooker is about 10-12 years old.

I almost never buy diced meat but none that I have ever bought or noticed, mentioned any cut - probably because of the same reasons that mince doesn't either - the precise cuts would have to be accurately declared if they were mentioned at all, so they don't mention cuts, so that they can mix and match what makes economic sense when cutting the carcass.

Minced/diced steak means nowt in terms of cut(s) used.

Personally I go for mutton quite often. Navarin that bad boy up, though I do add a little tomato to mine.

trouble is it aint healthy and I could eat it buy the pound, ox tail as well.

Personally I go for mutton quite often

For the great majority of us, that means mail order. I love lamb, adore hogget (also basically mail order only for most), but mutton......................... is absolutely definately an aquired taste.
I can buy mutton locally, but it goes in Cumberland hotpot (which includes black pudding), and it comes out tasting very beefy - actually great so far as I am concerned. I have cooked a couple of other ways and............ the hotpot wins easily.

We have a Caribbean wholesalers nearby thankfully so I am well stocked for shin of beef, mutton, oxtails and old chicken should it ever take my fancy (it does not)

Expensive steak is a mistake for stew. Go to a butcher and ask for a cheap cut for stewing. He or she may offer you shin or chuck - take either. Ask for it cut thick. And six hours is way too long

For the great majority of us, that means mail order. I love lamb, adore hogget (also basically mail order only for most), but mutton......................... is absolutely definately an aquired taste.
I can buy mutton locally, but it goes in Cumberland hotpot (which includes black pudding), and it comes out tasting very beefy - actually great so far as I am concerned. I have cooked a couple of other ways and............ the hotpot wins easily.

we love mutton, luckily one of the online butchers we use sells it, great in a Biryani.

advertisement

Back