Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Stewart Tyler, R.I.P.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bob Edwards, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Bronzeage

Bronzeage pfm Member

R.I.P, a very sad loss for his family and the audio community. By far my favourite speakers.

CJ14 likes this.
  2. Rockhopper

Rockhopper pfm Member

I have fond memories of Stewart from 1981 delivering and installing a pair of the very rare Celef domestic monitors to my home along with hifi Dave. I came to know him quite well thereafter and remember hair raising rides in his very modified cosworth ford sierra.
    RIP and sympathies to the family.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    mondie and CJ14 like this.
  3. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

RIP. Many happy hours spent listening to his speakers.

Like it!

G T Audio and CJ14 like this.
  4. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Had a few of his speakers pass through over the years, without doubt he was a very talented guy. RIP

5. omers

omers pfm Member

RIP , a giant, great consistent loudspeakers.

CJ14, By the smile and the look of his hair this must have been a loud and happy session!

CJ14 likes this.
  6. TLS

TLS pfm Member

RIP.

7. TimF

TimF pfm Member

RIP Stewart! Sad day indeed….

8. hifienthusiast

hifienthusiast Vintage by heart

My friend who owns and restores Qual ESL63 and the original Quad ESL introduced me to the Proac Response 1SC. His opinion is that the sound of the Response 1SC is very close to the ESL.

Since my son was born 9 years ago, I have boxed up the 1SC, but I don't think I will ever get rid of the 1SC. The 1SC are highly praised by the audiophiles in Hong Kong and China.

We have lost a legendary speaker designer.

9. badger748

badger748 Like en eel. But in reverse.

I met Stewart a few times, latterly when he came to my office and we did a sort of speaker swap. He bought my restored Quad's and I took a pair of pair of Response 1's. A much underated speaker. Also met him at his workshop and saw all sorts of stuff, some that made it to production, some that didn't.
    All in all, a lovely bloke. My Quad's were to go into some sort of "museum" he was planning. I hope he realised this.
    Truly talented and warm person. RIP

Dark Lord, alan967tiger and CJ14 like this.
  10. CJ14

CJ14 Oh not again.

He was warm and kind a good friend I will miss him.

11. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

He ‘phoned me in the ‘70s, as I had my Celef Monitors up for sale and asked me why I
    was selling them.
    I told him I was saving up for a pair of BC1s.
    The Celefs were fine, but I did want the Spendors...

Tarzan likes this.
  12. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

RIP Mr Tyler- would love to asked him how he gets such big sound from small boxes. ( Not that l would have understood.)

13. amazement

amazement pfm Member

We’ve lost too many Hi-Fi giants this past year.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  14. halvis

halvis pfm Member

RIP Stewart. I have only learnt about him recently as I am in the process of buying a pair of ProAcs. They really are special speakers that stand out from the crowd.

Dark Lord likes this.
  15. billza

billza pfm Member

Yes indeed as I love my Proac D1s
    Yeah sad time for his family/friends.

16. Had my Studio 150s for over 10 years now. RIP Stewart.

BB

17. 406v6

406v6 pfm Member

Sad news indeed. I never knew him but admired his skill in creating excellent speakers over 40+years. I’m listening to music through a set of them now. One of the greats, gone. Do we know who will be carrying on his mantle for ProAc ?

18. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

Great to see so many nice comments about him without the caveat " He was an arrogant miserable bugger but knew how to design good kit" as is so often the case LOL.

19. AndrewR

AndrewR pfm Member

One thinks of Tom Fletcher who was also much loved by the community.

Andrew

Mullardman likes this.
  20. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

This is very sad news. I’ve been a fan of Proac loudspeakers for a very long time.

My sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends.