advertisement

Steve Davis talks us through his record collection

I can’t find a date, is that an old interview? If not I’m surprised he doesn’t mention his band The Utopia Strong (Discogs). They are really good in a prog/Krautrock/space-rock kind of way. I’m only missing the latest title on vinyl, I’ve got everything else. Really good from a collectable perspective too; their four self-released live albums with signed, numbered screen-printed covers and hand stamped labels are really lovely things.

PS Good to see he’s got a 401. A proper turntable for a proper music collection!

Edit: I see the date is in the URL, so yes, it’s a very old interview!

PS Good to see he’s got a 401. A proper turntable for a proper music collection!
Yeah fantastic, I’m assuming that’s just for home use, he won’t be lugging a pair around dj’g 😆.

Again, vague recollections about his band, is he a drummer or keyboards maybe?
I’ll have a listen.

There are some fun features on that site. I enjoyed the Thurston Moore interview.

“People always used to ask me, ‘How come you weren’t a typical New York loft-dwelling junkie?’. Well, I was New York and I was loft-dwelling, but I wasn’t a junkie, because why spend money on dope when you can spend it on records?”

I knew he was a vinyl collector but hadn’t read that article. Interesting that he is a big Gentle Giant fan, they did some cracking tunes.

A big recommendation from me for his book with Kavus Torabi, Medical Grade Music, which should appeal to record nerds of pretty much all stripes.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Steve Davis being an electronica DJ.. is a very peculiar image indeed. Very weird.

What's that long arm on his 401?

Capt

Steve Davis being an electronica DJ.. is a very peculiar image indeed. Very weird.

He’s more Krautrock, space, drone, experimental than electronica, though there is obviously a huge crossover there. IIRC his favourite band is Magma. Worth researching if you don’t know them, one of the oddest bands ever!

What's that long arm on his 401?

The 12” variant of the SME V.

He’s more Krautrock, space, drone, experimental than electronica, though there is obviously a huge crossover there. IIRC his favourite band is Magma. Worth researching if you don’t know them, one of the oddest bands ever!

The 12” variant of the SME V.

The very idea of 'boring' Steve Davis, even listening to electronica is weird enough.. but DJ'ing at Glastonbury? Liking -odd- electonica bands?? Perplexing. Even his 401 TT looks weird with the carbon snooker cue for an arm.

Maybe he's been a Pfm member under a pseudonym for years; now that, wouldn't be half as odd. I'm now gonna have to dip into some magma out of curiosity.

Capt

advertisement

Back