advertisement

Steve Bray's 'protest' equipment seized on first day of new law

He has an absolute right to protest. These new Tory laws are those of an out of control far-right government silencing dissent with state violence. No one should respect them. We should all very actively resist them. Hopefully there will be a crowdfunder for Bray’s defence.

PS Here are some petitions organised by Greenpeace and Liberty standing against this authoritarian Tory policy. pfm very actively supports organisations such as these and other entities such as the Good Law Project, Led By Donkeys, StopFundingHate etc. Please consider signing the petitions and donating to these organisations as they all do fine and increasingly important work.

pfm is an anti-fascist website.

He's a hero. Anyone who opposes him is a total cnut. Simples

He can go and be a hero in your back garden.

It's not the act of protesting that's the trouble, it's the constant and I imagine unreasonable noise. Every day. He can do a quiet protest and I'm sure nobody would trouble him.

The odd thing about today's actions by the police is that they could have confiscated his amplifier at any time since the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, whose provisions were extended by the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 (see House of Commons Library). The fact that the police have obviously been instructed to do so today, the day the new anti-protest laws have come into effect, is all about headlines.

It's the usual 'culture war' stuff from a low, divisive government that has nothing constructive to offer the country.

Last edited:
The odd thing about today's actions by the police is that they could have confiscated his amplifier at any time since the 2014 Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act (see House of Commons Library). The fact that the police have obviously been instructed to do so today, the day the new anti-protest laws have come into effect, is all about headlines.

It's the usual 'culture war' stuff from a low, divisive government that has nothing constructive to offer the country.

I wouldn't even call them a government. They'd have to actually govern to do that. It's basically Boris Johnson, Crime Minister, and his droogs.

The odd thing about today's actions by the police is that they could have confiscated his amplifier at any time since the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011
was extended by the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 (see House of Commons Library). The fact that the police have obviously been instructed to do so today, the day the new anti-protest laws have come into effect, is all about headlines.

On the orders of Priti Vacant no doubt.

He could even have kept the amp. And still used it. If he only looked at the map they were trying to show him so he knew where to go...

PS They didn't confiscate the megaphone. Probably not loud enough.

If the confiscation of his amps and a fine is all that happens, he can crowdfund his way out of it.

If he's that earnest in his protest, he'll reflect that, through history, others have lost more than some electronics for a similar cause.

He's a nightmare. You can tell. Dunno how you would reason with him

It doesn’t matter. You don’t need to like him. He’s not racist, sexist, homophobic, he isn’t inciting hatred, he’s not violent or destructive. Just some bloke protesting about something. If you stand by whilst the state attacks, manhandles, charges and silences him it will not be long until they come for climate activists, the anti racists, for protests against state brutality, for strikers, for LGBTQ+ folk, for the Roma, even for the political opposition or independent press. They will eventually come for anyone an all-powerful right-wing state does not like.

Even the most staunch Brexiter should stand by Bray as his political stance is, by far, the least important thing in this story.

He is currently being followed around constantly by two gormless policemen. If they are trying to put the frighteners on him, it's not working.

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1541766800613982208

To be honest, I say good. I think he deserves it.

Very annoying and doesn't know when to stop. Would drive you mad. He must do this every day https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1541708405974470659. Does he turn off the loud music or stop shouting if a small child or baby is nearby? In case he damages their hearing? Bet he doesn't. Selfish oaf.

I trust pfm agrees with me...
Given that they're now officially the private security firm protecting the very rich and their interests, I think he should give the pig a good, firm kick in the nuts. If he wants to crowdfund his defence, I'll gladly contribute.

He has an absolute right to protest. These new Tory laws are those of an out of control far-right government silencing dissent with state violence. No one should respect them. We should all very actively resist them. Hopefully there will be a crowdfunder for Bray’s defence.

PS Here are some petitions organised by Greenpeace and Liberty standing against this authoritarian Tory policy. pfm very actively supports organisations such as these and other entities such as the Good Law Project, Led By Donkeys, StopFundingHate etc. Please consider signing the petitions and donating to these organisations as they all do fine and increasingly important work.

pfm is an anti-fascist website.

Have you thought about creating a sticky thread for such petitions? Or does one already exist? I'd be delighted to visit it regularly.

advertisement

Back