Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Bray's 'protest' equipment seized on first day of new law

Discussion in 'off topic' started by notaclue, Jun 28, 2022.

1. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Spike55 likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

He has an absolute right to protest. These new Tory laws are those of an out of control far-right government silencing dissent with state violence. No one should respect them. We should all very actively resist them. Hopefully there will be a crowdfunder for Bray’s defence.

PS Here are some petitions organised by Greenpeace and Liberty standing against this authoritarian Tory policy. pfm very actively supports organisations such as these and other entities such as the Good Law Project, Led By Donkeys, StopFundingHate etc. Please consider signing the petitions and donating to these organisations as they all do fine and increasingly important work.

pfm is an anti-fascist website.

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

He's a hero. Anyone who opposes him is a total cnut. Simples

najb, Nic Robinson, ff1d1l and 4 others like this.
  4. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

He’s a dick but this authoritarian law must be resisted so he has my full support in this respect.

Protests (and strikes) are meant to be annoying and disruptive. Without the right to cause trouble, we have nothing.

5. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

He can go and be a hero in your back garden.

It's not the act of protesting that's the trouble, it's the constant and I imagine unreasonable noise. Every day. He can do a quiet protest and I'm sure nobody would trouble him.

6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

See my first post

Enfield boy and zygote23 like this.
  7. laughingboy

laughingboy pfm Member

The odd thing about today's actions by the police is that they could have confiscated his amplifier at any time since the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, whose provisions were extended by the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 (see House of Commons Library). The fact that the police have obviously been instructed to do so today, the day the new anti-protest laws have come into effect, is all about headlines.

It's the usual 'culture war' stuff from a low, divisive government that has nothing constructive to offer the country.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    MUTTY1, synsei and sean99 like this.
  8. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

I wouldn't even call them a government. They'd have to actually govern to do that. It's basically Boris Johnson, Crime Minister, and his droogs.

tiggers likes this.
  9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

On the orders of Priti Vacant no doubt.

synsei likes this.
  10. narabdela

narabdela who?

Your trust is misplaced. :rolleyes:

11. CraShWilliams

CraShWilliams pfm Member

They did the same with Brian Haw (RIP) and he always managed to find a loophole.

Like many others, I fully support his right (and ours) to protest - the Government is tearing up all of our hard won rights and this needs to be fully fought against.

12. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Legislation is already in place for antisocial noise nuisance. This was about stifling protest, and is all part of this country’s slide into fascism. Something will snap soon, and it won’t be pretty

najb, Sue Pertwee-Tyr, Nick_G and 5 others like this.
  13. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

He's a nightmare. You can tell. Dunno how you would reason with him https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1541709565561028610

The fact they had to pretty much introduce legislation to stop him tells its own story.

He was quite funny for the first few years, but became a tiresome nuisance.

14. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

He could even have kept the amp. And still used it. If he only looked at the map they were trying to show him so he knew where to go...

PS They didn't confiscate the megaphone. Probably not loud enough.

15. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

If the confiscation of his amps and a fine is all that happens, he can crowdfund his way out of it.

If he's that earnest in his protest, he'll reflect that, through history, others have lost more than some electronics for a similar cause.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It doesn’t matter. You don’t need to like him. He’s not racist, sexist, homophobic, he isn’t inciting hatred, he’s not violent or destructive. Just some bloke protesting about something. If you stand by whilst the state attacks, manhandles, charges and silences him it will not be long until they come for climate activists, the anti racists, for protests against state brutality, for strikers, for LGBTQ+ folk, for the Roma, even for the political opposition or independent press. They will eventually come for anyone an all-powerful right-wing state does not like.

Even the most staunch Brexiter should stand by Bray as his political stance is, by far, the least important thing in this story.

17. glenda

glenda pfm Member

He is currently being followed around constantly by two gormless policemen. If they are trying to put the frighteners on him, it's not working.

18. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Me too, I ate one sour too.

Given that they're now officially the private security firm protecting the very rich and their interests, I think he should give the pig a good, firm kick in the nuts. If he wants to crowdfund his defence, I'll gladly contribute.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  19. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

Have you thought about creating a sticky thread for such petitions? Or does one already exist? I'd be delighted to visit it regularly.

20. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Me too, I ate one sour too.

He's in parliament square. I doubt he can be heard from more than 3 meters away over the traffic.