advertisement

Steve Bannon plans foundation to fuel far right in Europe

Apparently he’s very impressed with the way the EU is dealing with migration (not a joke).

It’s all a bit much for Antifa and the left in general, frankly: demos and counter demos can only go so far as long as The Times is running culture war campaigns from the Bannon playbook, Good Morning Britain are broadcasting fawning interviews with the bastard, and Newsnight are comparing Tommy Robinson to Nelson Mandela. And The EU’s hysterical and indeed murderous treatment of refugees obviously doesn’t make things any easier. Fertile soil.

This is useful:

https://livesrunning.wordpress.com/2018/07/08/know-your-enemy-the-tommy-robinson-movement-part-1/

Guardian

This is not good. At all. It's scary. I suspect a certain individual has Putin a large donation.

All the Antifa movements need to pool together and fight this moronic shit.

PS the name of it brings to mind a bowel Movement...

Although details are probably known to most UK PFM readers at this point, I (in US) gleaned new insight from Terry Gross’ recent dot-connecting interview with Carole Cadwalladr.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444908/fresh-air

For non-cognoscenti of American radio, Fresh Air may anyway prove an interesting daily dip.

Stewart

...... and Newsnight are comparing Tommy Robinson to Nelson Mandela. /

Is this really what viewers would have concluded after the report; the BBC think Robinson and Mandela are equally to be held in high regard or are you just extracting a meaning that wasn't meant or interpreted by anyone outside a particular political bubble.

Is this really what viewers would have concluded after the report; the BBC think Robinson and Mandela are equally to be held in high regard or are you just extracting a meaning that wasn't meant or interpreted by anyone outside a particular political bubble.
The question is why they would invite Batten, fresh from spouting Islamophobic bile at a far right rally, to repeat both the abuse and the absurd Mandela comparison. He was barely challenged on either. In return for a raised eyebrow or two he gets a major platform to broadcast this key piece of far right propaganda. The Newsnight editors clearly think like you: they think that their viewers will interpret it all as they do, that the absurdity is self-evident, that these clowns will condemn themselves by talking such gibberish so there's no need to challenge them. That is the view from inside the bubble. In fact the interview gets shared across networks of activists and sympathisers who don't necessarily watch Newsnight but understand its brand value. The comparison becomes part of everyday arguments on Twitter and in real life, and all under the legitimising imprimatur of Newsnight. It's just massively irresponsible. And then Farage is bundled in to a studio to repeat the Soros poison!

Why the fvck in the name of everything sacred is such sub faeces (never mind sub human) detritus even allowed in the country???!!! Such scum should be barred from any platform for their poison to be spread.
In this and many other countries inciting religious or racist hatred etc etc is a crime and yet it is obvious that this is his intention and indeed what inspires the piece of shit. He and his ilk should be on no fly lists.... and if they do get here should be arrested on landing... or preferably beaten to death with a rusty shovel... slowly... before profusely apologising to the shovel...
People are arrested for intent to commit murder, going equipped to commit burglary, planning a terrorist act etc so why the fvck is he immune until/unless he is stupid enough to publicly encourage his followers to go and lynch Muslims!??

The question is why they would invite Batten, fresh from spouting Islamophobic bile at a far right rally, to repeat both the abuse and the absurd Mandela comparison. He was barely challenged on either. In return for a raised eyebrow or two he gets a major platform to broadcast this key piece of far right propaganda. The Newsnight editors clearly think like you: they think that their viewers will interpret it all as they do, that the absurdity is self-evident, that these clowns will condemn themselves by talking such gibberish so there's no need to challenge them. That is the view from inside the bubble. In fact the interview gets shared across networks of activists and sympathisers who don't necessarily watch Newsnight but understand its brand value. The comparison becomes part of everyday arguments on Twitter and in real life, and all under the legitimising imprimatur of Newsnight. It's just massively irresponsible. And then Farage is bundled in to a studio to repeat the Soros poison!

You seem to think because some twat is allowed on Newsnight that the programme is endorsing their views. You know that is nonsense, Newsnight was not comparing Tommy Robinson to Nelson Mandela. If the programme has a discussion with someone who has practiced FGM, is Newsnight being irresponsible by making FGM more legitimate?

Newsnight and the BBC are being irresponsible by inviting the likes of Farage and other Brextremist idiots on without challenging them. Otherwise they appear to be normalising the slide towards the far right. There seems to be no distinction made between informed and uninformed opinion, which is dangerous. As I've said before, if the worst happens then they will be held partly accountable.

There is a good meme doing the rounds on Facebook at the moment along the lines of “Journalism 101: if one person tells you it is raining and another tells you it is sunny it is your duty as a journalist to look out of the bloody window and establish who is telling the truth!”. Our media and broadcasters could do well from learning from it. This does not mean lying gobshites like Farage, Rees-Mogg, Gove, Johnson, “Tommy Robinson”-Yaxley-Lennon etc shouldn’t be interviewed, just that the soundbite gibberish they emit needs to be fully fact-checked and exposed if inaccurate.

Newsnight and the BBC are being irresponsible by inviting the likes of Farage and other Brextremist idiots on without challenging them. Otherwise they appear to be normalising the slide towards the far right. There seems to be no distinction made between informed and uninformed opinion, which is dangerous. As I've said before, if the worst happens then they will be held partly accountable.

You think UKIP members and some Brexiteers should be questioned differently to other political representatives? Sounds like to want to give them even more publicity.

You think UKIP members and some Brexiteers should be questioned differently to other political representatives? Sounds like to want to give them even more publicity.
UKIP should no longer be given a platform on the BBC at all. They have become what they always were under a very thin surface layer of "respectability": a far-right party that openly incites hatred against Muslims. We are sleepwalking into very dark times and the BBC's complacency makes it complicit.

On the other hand Nick Griffins appearance on Question Time seriously harmed the BNP.
I must confess I was vehemently against it at the time, but shining a light on 'em proved to be a good move.

i fear that, in the main, we no longer have an inquiring electorate but rather one that seeks simply to justify the brexit decision. in that context, platforming the likes of farage, mogg et al will only serve to give them oxygen and not, as might have been the case, illuminate their grim agendas. the pendulum has already swung pretty far to the right. i wouldn't be inclined to help it on its way.

No. I think they should be given much less air time than they do. When they do appear their uninformed opinions should be given the required scrutiny, as then it will become clearer to more exactly what these people are and what they represent.

On the other hand Nick Griffins appearance on Question Time seriously harmed the BNP.
I must confess I was vehemently against it at the time, but shining a light on 'em proved to be a good move.
This is often claimed but I suspect its a liberal urban myth. It's true that Griffin's QT performance was poor and it's true that the BNP vote later collapsed but I'm not convinced the former was the sole cause (or even *a* cause) of the latter. It might simply be that the BNP was fated to decline at that time for other reasons (internal funding issues, party mismanagement, the rise of UKIP as the "respectable" face of extreme nationalism):

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2014/12/12/the-year-the-bnp-died/

The article above is a bit dated but it's take on the decline of the BNP sounds about right.

In any case, times have changed and the Overton window has shifted a long way to the right since then thanks, to a large extent, to the normalisation of far-right perspectives in mainstream media. Also, the BNP looks amateurish in retrospect - the far right now is well-funded (from who knows where?) and coordinates its activities across national boundaries, as Bannon's latest venture demonstrates. The mainstream channels need to stop legitimising these extremists.

The BNPs downfall (pun intended) was certainly co-incidenal with Griffins appearance, and you are being a bit charitable about his performance :~) But I take your points.

advertisement

Back