advertisement

Steely Dan UHQR 45rpm boxes on pre-order ... but the prices!

Get a group of like minded amigos and order a load together direct from Acoustic Sounds. There are savings to be made.

I was >.< close to buying the recent Can't Buy and Countdown releases on UHQR but the more people got hold of them and the more the problems arose I parked the idea. Ok if you live in the USA and can return a faulty one easily enough, but, in the UK? No thanks.

Not really a fan of 45RPM , 2 tracks per side either TBH. Ruins the flow somewhat. I'm sticking with the Probe UK originals of Can't Buy and Countdown.

If they can improve on Katy Lied and The Royal Scam though? Now that might be a different story.

I too was rather put off by the price but the quality makes MoFi's seem like poor relations. By that I not only mean the packaging quality but the quietness of the vinyl and the overall openness and detail of the sound compared to (most) of the original 33rpm recordings. If it means not purchasing other titles between releases then so be it - that is where Tidal etc prove their worth.

I am also not a fan of 45rpm albums but for a definitive "Aja" I will put up with it although bettering the Cisco release will be difficult.

I own the UHQR of 'Countdown to Ecstasy'. I have 'The Royal Scam' and 'Aja' on pre-order. I have great curiosity about 'Pretzel Logic' as well. 'Katy Lied' can never be rescued, as the multi-track tapes were just weird to begin with. 'Gaucho' would be difficult to improve upon sonically (but at 45RPM, you never know). Being in the US has its perks in the case of these LPs, and the ability to easily return them in case of fault.

The packaging is superb, as you know - faithful reproductions of the original everything, plus bonus notes from Mr. Fagan. The vinyl itself is perfectly flat, on-center, and dead quiet in the groove. Sonically, it is slightly quieter volume-wise than the original US pressings I own (including a white label promo), but has a wider dynamic range with less compression. Details previously buried in the mix are easily elucidated. Frequency extension, from top to bottom is better. It sacrifices nothing musically or rhythmically - it easily gets the foot tapping and you find yourself singing along. Now whether it's worth $200, or the pain in the ass of having to get up every two songs is debatable. For the audiophile fan AND the collector, I'd say it's a must-own: it will certainly never lose value in the long run and will likely wax in value. For the casual listener, I'd say absolutely not; first pressings are cheap and easy to find and great enough in their own right.

Just to follow on from @palasr - just been playing the UHQR of Countdown to Ecstasy and it does sound stunning. I haven't got an original pressing to compare it against (sold mine donkeys years ago) but it's hard to imagine it being better than the UHQR. Also, the attention to detail in the packaging does put the MoFi One-Steps to shame. If you love Steely Dan these really are worth considering.

I haven't got an original pressing to compare it against

The UK Probe first pressings of the first 3 Dan albums are about as good as it gets in my book. I can well understand why people would want to buy into into the recent Hoo Ha but the reports I've been reading of a "speeding up" of the UHQR of Countdown leave me more than a tad concerned. Never mind the pressing quality.

No way I’m paying £200 each for these cumbersome 45rpm reissues. I’ve heard there’s another reissue program on 33rpm but not made by Analogue Productions. Anyone heard about those?

Slightly wrong subject apolz but I’m just listening to the new Geffen issue of Pretzel Logic. Very impressive! Immaculate pressing and the dynamics…Night By Night is an absolute beast.

Slightly wrong subject apolz but I’m just listening to the new Geffen issue of Pretzel Logic. Very impressive! Immaculate pressing and the dynamics…Night By Night is an absolute beast.
Was waiting for someone to comment on this (having had to send back copies of the previous two, '....Thrill' and '....Ecstacy') - Cheers Ricky.

Was waiting for someone to comment on this (having had to send back copies of the previous two, '....Thrill' and '....Ecstacy') - Cheers Ricky.
I had to swap my copy of CBAT but now all 3 (including Pretzel) are fine - sound great. Still looking forward to Pretzel Logic UHQR!

advertisement

Back