advertisement

Stasis DIY

I'm wary of using a fan, silent or not as the Stasis front end board has a wired in NTC thermistor which is attached directly to the heatsink. I would have thought that using a fan to cool would upset that feedback loop on the heatsink's temp.

Popped resistor...

16h8iAH.jpg

Glad you have sorted the minor meltdown!

What an impressive build ...looks (and I'm sure sounds) amazing

Ta! I just wish I could do neat wiring...

It does sound so very different from the mixture of Naim (long ago) and Avondale (not so long ago) pre-amps and amps that I've had and/or built/modded. I've moved on to pastures new in terms of hifi these last couple of years, and the grass is a different shade of green over here :)

Last edited:
Quick, and hopefully final update as I've finished this amp, after plenty of revamps.

The amp has suffered from a serious buzz on both channels irrespective of volume, which points at a couple of things, poor earthing and/or excess ripple on the PSU. This amp is pulling about 5A continuous at +/-35VDC.

I had played around with the earthing to no effect. Measuring the PSU ripple I was seeing up to 100mV on each rail. Time for a new PSU, again, third time lucky.

I bought six of these babies...
2021-12-01_02-55-38 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

..I had to buy ten, so I have four awaiting an amp :)

After a bit of tinkering, drilling and tapping I turned six cans into a PSU.
2021-11-28_11-19-09 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

0R2 paralleled between each cap and 22ks as bleed resistors.

It has certainly fixed the PSU ripple problem, the amp is dead silent. How does it sound? Like it did before really, great separation, quite airy for such a monster amp, like the Krell but with more detail and just the same foot tapping rhythm.

Seems like there is no equivalent to raw, bulk capacitance.

Happy camper...

I like the ground plane on top of the caps. Great idea :)
Thank you. Let's not forget the great satisfaction I had drilling the 10mm thick aluminium, all the holes neatly spaced out.

In the picture it does look tight at the back of the amp, but there is quite a a bit of room.

advertisement

Back