advertisement

Starting to get warmer... any other motorcyclists gearing up on here?

I don't think I've ever come across a bike that didn't have at least some redeeming virtues.

Except this one..

JEiVzMJh.png
there's one of those at a custom bike shop in Leeds! I dropped in to get some electro bits and there it was! I've never seen one on the road.

I don't think I've ever come across a bike that didn't have at least some redeeming virtues.

Except this one..

JEiVzMJh.png

Hmmmm,
Has potential, forks are too long and that seat unit is not tall enough, maybe a couple more feet of exhaust??

Indicators,
The rubber parts on mine are falling apart causing the light housing to separate from the stem.
I changed the rear set for a pair of LED ones from Oxford and was going to put the rear ones on the front as they are in slightly better condition BUT the previous owner has chopped the original terminals from the front set and bodged on a set of those nasty 5mm blue collared bullet terminals.
The oxford ones just plugged right in(with the resistors) leading me to think that the terminal is a standard size across the motorcycle market.

Can someone please tell me what size they are? or even better a linky to RS, CPC or any other non-ebay supplier!
TA

The YBR I bought from my son is an old one, from 2006. There are some advantages to that in that it's pretty basic, so a lot of stuff on it is within my limited capabilities. The downside of course is that a lot of 125's of that age will have had 10+ owners and pretty trashed. This one looks like it was stored for a while though, as it's MOT history only shows up for 2019 (when it had 1800 miles on it) and 2020 (when it had 7500 miles) so while it has scrapes and bumps it's not bad at all and definitely seems worth the £850 I paid for it. Certainly my son really likes it.

One really big benefit I've found with the YBR is how available cheap parts are for it. I replaced the carb yesterday with a pattern one from China which seemed reasonably well made and only cost £30 now. Personally I'd rather have a for my son a Honda CBF125 (I'm a Honda guy really) but there weren't any cheap ones locally (in fact the 2nd hand ones were pricy enough I'd have rather bought a new one), however I'm pretty pleased with the YBR and it rides well.

As of last week I'm the proud owner of a 2013 YBR! I saw it advertised locally and, as I know virtually nothing about what to look for, took a friendly local mechanic to check it over. It needed a few bits doing which were knocked off the price but was pronounced overall a decent example.

Still getting the hang of clutch control and I suspect it will be a few weeks before I'm confident enough for it to take over from the scooter for my commute in rush hour London traffic but so far enjoying learning.

Finally picked up enough courage for a trackday last Saturday - first ever on a bike.

xL9TXxeh.jpg

Note the rookie orange vest - in case the sitting smack upright in the middle of the seat / lips pursed tight with concentration / 15 degrees max lean weren't big enough giveaways otherwise :)

The bike was superb though - as was the track. Hell of an experience, like your favourite road - empty - and another 20 like-minded rakers out there beside you with exactly the same intent: go as hard as you dare. Methinks it mightn't be the last perhaps.

I've had a proper test ride on a Meteor 350.
It is a VERY comfortable bike for me, being a little lacking vertically.
On normal roads it handles very nicely, it won't outperform much but it is very smooth, no surprises in any area and nicely weighted. A very easy ride and it turned plenty of heads with its looks and gently burbling exhaust tone.
A couple of small negative points, the clutch is standard heavy, which may get a little tiresome in city traffic of longer durations. The other is top speed, I would expect a 350 to manage 120kmh/75mph without noticeable vibrations but the Meteor starts to lose its smoothness a little after 90kmh. If I went on longer trips as planned, using decent roads, I'd want to do a good "motorway" cruise when conditions allowed.

Basically the heart said oh-yeah, love it but the head had doubts. Back to the original plan of waiting for the CB350H and Yammy XSR300 to land here. I don't think there will be a clear winner but one will be best "on balance".

I've had a proper test ride on a Meteor 350.
It is a VERY comfortable bike for me, being a little lacking vertically.
On normal roads it handles very nicely, it won't outperform much but it is very smooth, no surprises in any area and nicely weighted. A very easy ride and it turned plenty of heads with its looks and gently burbling exhaust tone.
A couple of small negative points, the clutch is standard heavy, which may get a little tiresome in city traffic of longer durations. The other is top speed, I would expect a 350 to manage 120kmh/75mph without noticeable vibrations but the Meteor starts to lose its smoothness a little after 90kmh. If I went on longer trips as planned, using decent roads, I'd want to do a good "motorway" cruise when conditions allowed.

Basically the heart said oh-yeah, love it but the head had doubts. Back to the original plan of waiting for the CB350H and Yammy XSR300 to land here. I don't think there will be a clear winner but one will be best "on balance".
Most reviews say that the 500 is the one to buy. Edit - it seems that the Bullet is/was available in 350 and 500, the Meteor is 350 only.

Indicators,
The rubber parts on mine are falling apart causing the light housing to separate from the stem.
I changed the rear set for a pair of LED ones from Oxford and was going to put the rear ones on the front as they are in slightly better condition BUT the previous owner has chopped the original terminals from the front set and bodged on a set of those nasty 5mm blue collared bullet terminals.
The oxford ones just plugged right in(with the resistors) leading me to think that the terminal is a standard size across the motorcycle market.

Can someone please tell me what size they are? or even better a linky to RS, CPC or any other non-ebay supplier!
TA
Have a word with Vehicle Wiring Products, they offer every possible plug and socket for everything.

@stevec67

No 500cc Meteor in the works.
Here, only have 500 Bullet and Classic and don't like either of those, I'd be better off with an Interceptor 650 but still don't want a bike of that size cc.
Plus, retailing the 500 has just been stopped in India, maybe a new engine coming later?

Just seen your edit ;)

You're not kidding..

JbEf0gpl.jpg

My brother swears he's had a bag of coal in there. Not entirely sure I believe him - but I do know there's some confirmed tales of riders in the US who've fitted a carrier for a MTB on the back :)

Clueless newbie question. I went to the local bike shop accessories shop yesterday to get a new helmet as I had a minor accident recently. I really wanted a white or yellow helmet to help me be seen. I've noticed how much more visible other riders wearing them are and I'm quite often riding home from work late at night.

The shop assistant explained that they hardly had any - and not within my budget - as all anyone is interested in buying is matt black. I was really surprised. I ended up ordering a yellow MT Thunder from their website on the understanding that I can return if the fit isn't good.

But why does everyone want a black helmet?!

edit: I thought this video comparing visibility was good:

I really wanted a white or yellow helmet to help me be seen. I've noticed how much more visible other riders wearing them are and I'm quite often riding home from work late at night.

The shop assistant explained that they hardly had any - and not within my budget - as all anyone is interested in buying is matt black. I was really surprised. I ended up ordering a yellow MT Thunder from their website on the understanding that I can return if the fit isn't good.

But why does everyone want a black helmet?!

I bought a budget flip up white helmet about 6 months ago to see how I would get on with one having only ever had full or open helmets in the past. Black was probably the most common colour but I seem to recall white being the second most popular at least at the two local shops I went to. Don't know about yellow which is not a colour I would consider.

As for why black is the most popular colour I don't know. Never had or wanted one myself although I did have a red one for a while but only because it was the only one available in the local shop that was light enough with an ACU sticker. When I was young I had friend who painted his white open face helmet matt black I think to go with his scruffy black leathers and grungy British twin. I don't recall there being many black helmets at the time. Does that line up with anyone else's recollections?

After some delving into the mental archives it seems I've owned mostly black helmets over the years, currently a matt black eight-ball style and red "half" style, although colour was never part of my choosing criteria. When I get a proper bike again I'll grab a decent open sport helmet as well, maybe colour match to the bike, goodness me!

:)

A couple more Just for you Arkless..in case you didn't catch their good side..

X40Ri0Ll.jpg

2X0nAtkl.jpg

Like I mean - how could you NOT love that ? :)

They have a good side??!! It's very well hidden! At least we now know what happened to Ssangyong's head of styling after he was sacked for the Rodius!

Alas the mighty RC34 (as we aficionados are want to call it) predates the odious Rhodius by at least a decade. He/she was obviously just getting into his/her stride in the Honda years.. :)

advertisement

Back