advertisement

Starter system

RoA

pfm Member
One for anyone just starting in the hobby. My humble suggestion for a (new) complete separates starter system, source, amplification and speakers that should keep most happy for a long time is;

Audiolab 6000a, Quad S2, Chromecast Audio

Great looks (imo), build quality and facilities, sound.

All in for around £1200 (you will need a streaming service subscription)

Another vote for the Chromecast Audio, although if you've ripped your own CDs you can just stream them locally without having to pay for a streaming service. My audio files are loaded onto a USB that's plugged into my Nvidia Shield TV and I use PLEX to cast the audio to my Chromecast gadget. A simple solution but it sounds great.

As for amplification? Rage io all the way.

I'm not sure whether it's io or IO, perhaps @paul darwin can clarify, not that it matters that much as the io (or IO) sounds great whatever name it goes by :)

Reactions: RoA
Yes, the IO (and Brio) did cross my mind too but the Audiolabs various facilities, superb build and mature, controlled (imho) sound make it, for me, a default recommendation at the price.

That is not to take anything away from Rega.

@RoA you can't get CCA new.

So, all new: Rega io (not IO, but we need a confirmation on this, it's the matter of utmost urgency), Rega Kyte and Fiio DAP for 100-150 that you can use with streaming service or play files from memory card. All in under 1000 if I'n not mistaken.

New: Rega system One + a Chromecast Audio

AVimg_30815.jpg

Tragically fair point about the CCA being out of production and therefore, no longer available new. That said, it's worth noting that the CCA sounds even better when powered via an external battery bank. I bought a cheap one from Currys last year, a Goji G6P10BK19, and it's done wonders for my CCA's playback performance. You get 20+ playback from one charge and the clean power supply does wonders for the sound quality. Suffice to say: CCA + external battery bank + Rega io = recommended!

I wouldn't choose any other than Rega for a starter TT or amp though I'm unsure as what I'd go for where speakers are concerned as it would be dependent on remaining budget and room size.

My daughter uses her MacBook into my Topping VX1, into her Grandad's Arcam 2 Speakers in her Uni room, it's sounds much better than I expected it to.

Cheers BB

Now the trick is getting someone who hasn't already bought their first system to see this thread! Would've been helpful for me a year ago but I didn't join pfm until after I bought gear.
Nice thread in any case though.

Shame you guys are starting with new

I got a Denon PMA 250 II, a denon CD player, tape deck and tuner for £20, and a pair of Goodmans Magnum K2's for £50. I also got a pair of Celestion F3's for £20 recently. And an ion obelisk 1 for a fiver. A starter system that gives the opportunity for trading up, selling on and replacing parts, etc.

The ions can be a bit polarising (I've always liked them, and this one is going to someone who needs a head start in audio), so I'd probably go with the denon gear, and the magnums. £70 to get the ball rolling in hifi.

How about Sony PS-HX500 t/t, Yamaha A-S201 and Dali Zensor Pico. Pretty good value at £800 or so, possibly less.

advertisement

Back