advertisement

Star Trek films

richardg

Admonishtrator
My son wants to watch the one that has the most aliens and explosions in it...any help? I've never watched any of them.

Rich,

I’m not a fan of the reboot Trek movies, but if you want action, adventure, aliens, explosions and characters that are loosely based on and are superficial shells of the loveable ones you’ve spent a lifetime watching, give those a go.

Of the *real* Trek movies, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan is your best bet. The only one to avoid — and I don’t say this lightly — is Star Trek V: The Movie We Do Not Speak Of.

All that said, the best Trek has been on TV. I’d start with The Doomsday Machine. If his interest is piqued, expect years — nay, decades — of nerdery ahead.

Joe

My son wants to watch the one that has the most aliens and explosions in it...any help? I've never watched any of them.

gosh you missed out , my favourite is the one where they go back to san francisco to rescue a whale ... fab

Gary,

Novice error. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is the one with the humpback whales.

Star Trek V is the one we do not speak of.

Joe

Honestly, it’s hard to top the original TV show.

Nic will be along shortly to confirm that every word I have written is the unassailable truth.

Joe

Rich,

I’m not a fan of the reboot Trek movies, but if you want action, adventure, aliens, explosions and characters that are loosely based on and are superficial shells of the ones you’ve spent a lifetime watching, give those a go.

Joe

Are these the ones after Patrick Stewart?

Rich,

These are the movies that JJ Abrams rebooted — ummm, I mean ruined — starting in 2009.

Joe

Sorry, I should have added that Star Trek: First Contact is solid.

Joe

I think it’s ok for a newbie to start with the Abrams reboots, and then work backwards as interest dictates. Any Trek is better than no Trek.

It's not big on aliens or explosions, but my personal favourite has always been Generations, where the baton is passed from Kirk to Picard.

The Undiscovered Country was my favourite.... Who could resist Christopher Plummer as a revanchist Klingon Warlord!? "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!" sounds great in Klingon.

I think it’s ok for a newbie to start with the Abrams reboots, and then work backwards as interest dictates. Any Trek is better than no Trek.

I dont agree, because for what ever reason the reboot destroys Vulkan which was not a thing in the original. The reboots really are terribly shit.

advertisement

Back