advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

The Expanse is ace. Bloody annoying it’s weekly at the mo.

I've twice tried to get through the first episode, but there seems little to entice. It does get better, doesn't it?

Dark Matter - first episode of that was good, a few interesting twists and turns to bring us back for Ep. 2

I've twice tried to get through the first episode, but there seems little to entice. It does get better, doesn't it?

Dark Matter - first episode of that was good, a few interesting twists and turns to bring us back for Ep. 2

The Expanse is proper SF, based on proper SF books, written by proper SF authors (like the original Trek often was).

Best SF TV for ages IMHO.

Watching the first episode is like reading the first chapter in a multi-book series. Not sure you'll like any more of it if you didn't like the first episode.

Stephen

The Expanse is vast, and goes through really big, consequential changes and developments as it trundles along. Proper, hard sci-fi as I believe some people call it. High concept stuff.

That makes it amazing if that’s your thing, but maybe less so if not. I would say that the very beginning is a bit sci-fi gumshoe, and it grows quite a way beyond that before long. So it does evolve from where it starts. But whether it’ll appeal will depend on your taste.

I enjoyed Dark Matter too, watched it a while ago in the US when it was on Netflix there. More traditional in structure than The Expanse but good fun, and a quite intriguing start as you say. Shame it ended when it did, they were clearly looking beyond where they’d got to.

The Expanse is vast, and goes through really big, consequential changes and developments as it trundles along. Proper, hard sci-fi as I believe some people call it. High concept stuff.

That makes it amazing if that’s your thing, but maybe less so if not. I would say that the very beginning is a bit sci-fi gumshoe, and it grows quite a way beyond that before long. So it does evolve from where it starts. But whether it’ll appeal will depend on your taste.

I binge watched up to ep2 series 3 and I ran out of steam. Might need to revisit as I was enjoying it just other things took over. I named my Tesla Rocinante after all.

Copacetic.

Nice car.

42b3du559llz.png

Stephen

Another Dark Matter fan here, a modern Blakes7...almost.

Yet to try The Expanse...

Agree to the decent finale of D. S3.

I have to say that the choice of Mr. Worf as Alice the housekeeper is a bit zany, but this reboot could work.

37A9mqO.jpg

Joe

Foundation has begun. On Apple TV.

It’s pretty good so far. The books are really un filmable (mostly two men in a room discussing philosophy) so concentrating on the epic that the characters spend their time talking about is probably a good idea. It definitely brings alive the cruelty in the books!

They’ve mashed up the robot books into it - as Asimov himself does, but I was surprised they revealed it it the way they did.

Looks great as well.

Stephen

I have to say that the choice of Mr. Worf as Alice the housekeeper is a bit zany, but this reboot could work.

37A9mqO.jpg

Seems odd to include Denise Crosby, didn't she quit the show in the first season because she hated it?

37A9mqO.jpg

Joe

Feel like I’m losing geek points by not knowing (don’t worry, I can name all of the above actors yet alone their characters, we’re all friends here!) but what’s the pic/Alice reference in aid of?

Yank,

Seems odd to include Denise Crosby, didn't she quit the show in the first season because she hated it?

I guess so, but I probably should have mentioned that I didn't take that photo of Captain Picard, Commander Riker, Lt. La Forge, Lt. Yar, Mr. Worf, Dr. Crusher, Wesley Crusher, Counsellor Troi and Mr. Data.

Joe

I guess so, but I probably should have mentioned that I didn't take that photo of Captain Picard, Commander Riker, Lt. La Forge, Lt. Yar, Mr. Worf, Dr. Crusher, Wesley Crusher, Counsellor Troi and Mr. Data.

I didn't suggest you did.

I just find it odd that Crosby now appears to be willing to participate in Trek-related things, when she chose to leave the show after just one season (and some cameos).

Massive fan of The Expanse. Yes, the first couple of episodes make it a slow burner but it’s compelling viewing from there on… Its epic story telling on a grand scale (which does its best with a relatively limited budget)…

… which brings me to recent Star Trek and Picard with their higher budgets and inferior storylines. Very disappointed with these shows which seem to be more about spectacle than plot.

The Orville feels more Star Trek than Star Trek!

advertisement

Back