advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

I'm also not convinced you can power a starship's propulsion system with mushrooms. Oh, it might seem like you did with the right kind of mushrooms, but it would be an illusion to top the mother of all Talos IV illusions.

Joe

I'm also not convinced you can power a starship's propulsion system with mushrooms. Oh, it might seem like you did with the right kind of mushrooms, but it would be an illusion to top the mother of all Talos IV illusions.

Joe
The mushroom drive is not technology. It's classic sympathetic magic. Same idea as a voodoo doll, where you make it resemble the victim, and then can cause real hurt to the victim by doing stuff to the doll. The mushroom drive works, apparently, because there is a universal phenomena that resembles the mycelium of mushrooms, so it can be influenced and manipulated by doing stuff with mushrooms. If one believes in magic, that is.

Last edited:
Don,

Well, OK, but the mushroom drive kills a plot device that was at the heart of many original series episodes — the ship having some problem with the engines that puts the entire crew in danger only for the engines to be fixed at the last possible second.

Joe

It was not my intent to make anyone think the mushroom drive is 'OK.' To be clear, I don't believe in magic. The ST Universe is always represented as 'reality based,' though the 'science' certainly has never been rigorous. But a thing that is explainable as magic much more aptly than any claim of scientific basis? Violates reality, I'm afraid. I've edited my previous post to hopefully make it a little clearer that I was more aiming to throw stones at the mushroom drive than to offer a satisfactory rationale or something.

I think the infinite probability drive would have been a better shout than a mushroom drive. :D It makes much more sense as part of a quantum multi-verse concept.

...and I don’t like mushrooms anyway.

Joe

Jeez, give them a little time!
A couple weeks ago they were only just exploring ambient soundscapes, this week they are taking baby steps with techno

Mushrooms man, way of the future

I know this thread isn't about Enterprise, but has it been mentioned yet that the actor who played Ensign Travis Mayweather is Wes Montgomery's grandson? There's 91 pages here, so I didn't look through them all.

Seems like the perfect PFM crossover trivia.

Is being cast as a regular on a Star Trek series a career-ending move? Seems like few of the regulars went on to bigger and better roles. And with the later series, it seems like they go straight from Trek to the convention circuit, and maybe the occasional Hallmark or Lifetime movie, or a guest villain of the week on a police procedural.

Carl?

OK, I’m gonna need some time to sort through this. I feel like Mr. Spock did after melding with V’ger. So much to process.

Joe

Carl?

OK, I’m gonna need some time to sort through this. I feel like Mr. Spock did after melding with V’ger. So much to process.

Joe

I thought it was a wonderful episode! Don't recall the original portal having a human representation though. Carl was Q-esque!

Hook,

One of the profs at work, who used to be the top Trekkie until I was hired, thought Carl was a Q. I countered that the doorway Philippa Georgiou passed through and comments in the form of riddles were more like a Guardian of Forever.*

Guess who's laughing now?

Joe

* An exchange over email. Pandemic...

True story. My daughter gave me a Guardian of Forever in the form of knock-off Lego.

megabloks-guardian-forever-dph79-14861.jpg

Every once in a while we throw Bones through it for shits and giggles.

Joe

It all reminded me of Star gate with Anubis in the dinerreading the paper. Thought that would have made an excellent cross over.

Craig,

No red shirts died in that episode, only Joan Collins before she became crabby.

Joe

Joe,

The young Joan Collins is firmly etched in the archival recesses of my mind.

WRT 'The City on the Edge of Forever', being the legend that is me in my own mind, I would have elbowed Kirk in the face, and snatched Edith off that street just in time, regardless of which particular fascist era was pending. Of course, in my fantasy version, I would have been Spock, and spontaneously (prematurely?) gone into pon farr post carrying Edith off.

Craig

6e8925add5fe03aba835065209dad4a5.jpg

advertisement

Back