advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

Disco was OK at best. The episodes in S4 are mostly rubbish.

Picard is in a much higher league; intelligent, complex but not un-necessarily or un-fathomably so and coherent.

I thought Picard S2 ep1 was really excellent.

Watched a few episodes of the new series of Discovery via the weird Pluto service (no search function?!) and while there’s still a lot of room for improvement it’s come on markedly in the new series IMO. Seems like it has a better idea of what it wants to be, rather than the ‘writer with no plan throws trek-ish toys around’ feel of the earlier series.

Wilipedia mentions critics noting a ‘more heartfelt take on the Star Trek mythos’ and that sounds about right.

Picard seems a bit better so far too. A touch less adolescently violent and sweary.

Picard season 2 has been so bad I can’t even. Last night we were subjected to the forehead singing. I’m out.

It’s the laziness of the writing that I find particularly galling. There must be so much young talent gagging for a chance to write for a series like this, being totally ignored.

Well this is disappointing, we have been rewatching S1 Picard which we liked a lot and saving S2 to watch shortly.

Absolutely dreadful.
I watched the latest episode yesterday and thought I might not bother with any more.
The only interesting, and by no means redeeming, feature of it was how it is perfectly hooked into the values and aesthetics of 80s TV, but draws on things like ChIPs and Dallas rather than the Next Generation.
I guess that's always a risk with time travel.

I wasn't overly impressed with Picard S1 but thought S2 got off to a good start.
I think I'm 5 episodes in and it's diving rapidly. Mind you, I was never particularly keen on the Q episodes of STNG...

There have been moments where I thought Patrick Stewart slurred his lines a bit. For example, the discussion over the plan to go back in time, he sounded slightly drunk, or like he'd had a minor stroke, or something. He's a very fine actor, I like him a lot, and I believe he's a lovely bloke too, but I couldn't help wondering if his best before date was approaching.

Of all the things they could have done with a time travel piece, they had to come back to now and bitch about pollution, it does nothing for the startrek universe or the current day situation that we are all more than aware of it, it does not need to be beaten round our head by a bunch of 20 year olds in California who have never watched TNG.

Picard was doomed the moment the admiral dropped the F bomb in season 1, it was clear from that point this had nothing to do with startrek.

I am super pissed about the fact Guinen did not recognise Picard in 2024 either, this goes against the lore of TNG totally. There is a really great talking heads piece on Youtube about it.

The new Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Animated Series captures the charm of the original cartoon...

...but with the strong story lines and acting we've come to expect from next gen.

Joe

advertisement

Back