advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

Film 4’s been showing the Star Trek films - though slightly censored unfortunately. Nice to rewatch Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and The Voyage home recently. So much nicer than the wham bam spectacle nonsense of today’s Trek. Also, saw this chap’s top 5 Next Generation episodes. It’s a decent list:

Just started on The Orville, it's very good and the little homage bits to ST are great, even have a Kelpien serving drinks in the bar.

Just started on The Orville, it's very good and the little homage bits to ST are great, even have a Kelpien serving drinks in the bar.

the Orville really really stretches it’s legs in season 3. They drop some of the silliness and play it a lot straighter, and imho it’s everything most modern trek isn’t. They nail the formula completely.

I’ve also been enjoying strange new worlds. But sadly Picard, discovery and prodigy, just don’t sit well with me. As a lifelong fan of the franchise and a guy that grew up with the Kirk movies and then next generation, I just don’t feel most of the modern shows strike the correct tone.

they no longer feel hopeful, optimistic and full of a utopian sense of improvement. Instead they’re now filled with conflict, character flaws, and darkness.

I suspect they reflect the mood of the times they were made in, alas. TOS was full of sixties optimism; TNG broadly similar for the eighties. Latterly…
A tense combination of Rodenberry’s optimistic vision, where black women, Asians, Russians and pointed eared aliens boldly carried the torch of 19th century Liberalism throughout the galaxy, and NBC’s notion of the Cold War in space.

Uhura aside, the 23rd century didn’t appear to have dealt with sexism very well. Female crew members in their mini-skirts, in menial roles to service the needs of the male officers.

Interesting interview with George Takei on the wireless recently where he said he approached Roddenberry to suggest plots that dealt with sexuality and gender. Gene was sympathetic but the response to Plato’s Stepchildren assured him that this would never be tolerated by the networks. Gender and sexism was addressed however, in TNG and Voyager.

Finnegan,

Gene was sympathetic but the response to Plato’s Stepchildren assured him that this would never be tolerated by the networks.

The interracial kiss between Captain Kirk and Lt Uhura or Alexander’s riding of Captain Kirk like a pony? My understanding is that the interracial kiss didn’t generate the hate mail some expected.

Joe

Finnegan,

The interracial kiss between Captain Kirk and Lt Uhura or Alexander’s riding of Captain Kirk like a pony? My understanding is that the interracial kiss didn’t generate the hate mail some expected.

Joe
I think Gene might be revising history somewhat there. True, there was a positive response from some quarters, but negative responses from others. Takei certainly disputes his account (approx 37 mins in).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0djtxkz

We watched the season of Picard with Q making his season-long appearance, and I found the last episode to be quite perfunctory and unsatisfying; Q rambled to Picard about what the season had been all about, and none of it seemed to register. Raffie and Seven had a token snog, as they'd been hinting they would all season. Big whoop. Agnes revealed as Borg Queen.

It felt like last episode of Game of Thrones.

The finale of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was awesome, I thought. Feel free to disagree but I have a tantalus field device installed in my quarters and I’m not afraid to use it.

Joe

Finnegan,

I didn’t know that some stations in the South refused to air that episode, but if that was their decision it almost certainly would have been because of the kiss. That scene was supposed to be a moment between Lt. Uhura and Mr. Spock, but Bill Shatner felt he should be the kisser because, well, he’s the captain dammit and that’s what he does.

I wonder how those stations would have reacted to an interspecies kiss.

Joe

There were loads of those. Fortunately aliens often resembled the most attractive female carbon-based units Hollywood could muster, mister.

(Apologies for the reference to the movie which shall not be named).

Nic,

I was thinking of an interspecies smooch between Mr Spock and other humans.

(Or a smooch between the Horta and Gorn.)

Joe

Finnegan,

I didn’t know that some stations in the South refused to air that episode, but if that was their decision it almost certainly would have been because of the kiss. That scene was supposed to be a moment between Lt. Uhura and Mr. Spock, but Bill Shatner felt he should be the kisser because, well, he’s the captain dammit and that’s what he does.

Joe
Doubt it would have bothered anyone that much. It wasn’t aliens the southern rednecks objected to. BTW it wasn’t just Star Trek. There were other shows (the Little Rascals- I think) that were banned in southern states because they contained scenes of black and white children playing together.

Vulcan owl discovered.

Ezvpu2s.jpg

Actually, it's a Eurasian scops owl, but if Vulcan had owls... Also an excellent example of crypsis.

advertisement

Back