advertisement

Stands for Epos ES14

Njb

pfm Member
My ES14s are out of retirement, for a while at least. What do people think about stands? I have some solid wood plinths at the moment, but people say that they need open metal stands to give of their best. Anybody care to share a view? I am not looking to spend a fortune, but will invest in some if they mean the ES14s can stay in my main system.

As above - any good open frame stand.

Am also considering bringing mine out of retirement, I have matching stands though.

If the original Epos stand for these prove difficult to source, the old Heybrook HBS1 turned through 90 degrees makes an ideal substitute.

I found the height of the Heybrook better aligned the ES14 to my seating position too; bass/mid at ear level.

I used the Heybrooks just as above for 30 years, worked fine. Stands and speakers both carefully packed and in peaceful retirement in my attic.One day they will be sought after classics. No way will I sell em for the current going rate!

Are there any decent modern options? Do custom design fs104 etc work? Or do the central columns block the downward transmission and cause the internal reflection that I need to avoid?

You should be able to get second hand open frame stands . I’ve tried single pillar stands for Linn Saras and Epos speakers and for both, the clarity in sound quality was improved with open frame stands.

I’d be tempted to get a local fabrication shop to manufacture you some. Probably cheaper and you could spec solid uprights and get them welded as a single structure.

Very impressed at the effects of a pair of Custom Design FS104 signatures, over my Atacama HMS’s.
But fully loaded with Atabites (central columns) and Custom Design mass loading in outer pillars.
More dynamic, open and detailed than the Atacamas with ATC SCM11 speakers.
I think made to measure with material of choice may not give an optimal result. Get an established and preferably well reviewed stand like the Custom Designs, but ideally borrow to try at home.
Amazing the sonic differences that different stands can make.

advertisement

Back